cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Combining BT Whole Home with BT Smart Hub 2

Hi, we bought three Whole Home discs a few years ago and have the Home Hub 5 - Type A.  We only have a small home but our second computer at the back of our home, which has a disc by it, still has very slow speeds.  I'm wondering if the discs would be compatible with the new BT Smart Hub 2, which I think is their latest.  Also, would it boost the speeds at the back of the house and make the computer faster?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Combining BT Whole Home with BT Smart Hub 2

You would still have to connect one to an Ethernet port of the home hub, as they cannot link directly via wireless. Only the black complete wifi discs can do that. The two systems are incompatible.

Wireless hotspot devices are normally better that relying on a wireless link.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thank you so much.  I'll look into your suggestion.  It sure is complicated!  It's a good job for us mere mortals that there are people like you who understand and help.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

@ellanvannin wrote:

Thank you so much.  I'll look into your suggestion.  It sure is complicated!  It's a good job for us mere mortals that there are people like you who understand and help.

The advantage of the hotspot 600, is that it also has two Ethernet ports, so you can connect your computer direct to that.

I assume you already have your computer plugged into the Ethernet port on your existing white disc which is located near the computer? Its still relying on a wifi link back to the main disc, and that is probably what is limiting the speed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks again.  My computer is plugged into the main router and is OK.  There's a lead from the main router No 3 ethernet port to the ethernet port on a white disk by my desk.  My husband has his computer at the back of the house away from the main router and is relying on his white disc.  What does he need to plug into the ethernet port on the white disc?  I'm useless at this sort of thing and rely on him but this time he's puzzled too!

0 Ratings