Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DW24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Compatible QOS router for super hub 2

Go to solution

Do you think a router with SQM would be better than just QOS..  

Or is even possible as I need a router to fit straight into in wall socket.  
Cheers David 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

@DW24 wrote:

Do you think a router with SQM would be better than just QOS..  

Or is even possible as I need a router to fit straight into in wall socket.  
Cheers David 

That is the same as what the TP Link routers do. Its not QOS that you need, as that only applies to service classifications. Its bandwidth control which you need, so that irrespective of what services the user is running, they are prevented from using all of the available download and upload bandwidth, which is what streaming services like Netflix use.

A queue is formed, with the lower priority devices having to wait until some bandwidth is allocated. This does not matter much for streaming services, unless there is a long delay, which would cause buffering.

Implementation involves finding the LAN IP address of the device doing the streaming, and then reserving it within the router, so it always gets that IP address. That is needed because bandwidth control is applied to a specific IP address or addresses.

You do need to fully understand how that can be correctly implemented, otherwise it will not work.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Both those TP link routers are designed to plug into your phone socket for a VDSL or ADSL connection. 

The dual band one does have faster LAN ports, but unless you intend to pass large amounts of data between devices, or have lots of 5GHz wireless devices, then its not worth the extra cost. You can always plug a gigabit Ethernet switch into the router, and use that to connect devices, just using the router for Internet access.

0 Ratings
DW24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Thank you again...  

I’ll ordered the ac1900 router ...   the link you gave me... 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

@DW24 wrote:

Thank you again...  

I’ll ordered the ac1900 router ...   the link you gave me... 

I have the  W9970, as I have no need for dual band, as I have a wireless mesh system.

The bandwidth controls on the Archer VR900  are very similar, but just located on a different part of the menu.

As I mentioned earlier, bandwidth controls work on the IP address of the device you wish to restrict, so it important that this remains the same by reserving it on the DHCP settings.

This is not possible on Apple devices running IOS14, as their wireless MAC address keeps changing, so its not possible to bind a MAC address to an IP address.

DW24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

That’s the white router that’s about £38. 
I turned of private address on all my devices, so would that help 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

@DW24 wrote:

That’s the white router that’s about £38. 

If you have ordered that one, its not the correct one, as its only a wireless router, and cannot be connected to your phone line, as I assume you have a VDSL connection, and not FTTP?

This is the correct one, as mentioned on my link, and its black and about £150.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr900/#specifications

Capture.JPG

DW24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Ac1900 is the one I’m going to going to order mate.. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

@DW24 wrote:

Ac1900 is the one I’m going to going to order mate.. 

TP link`s designation can be confusing, as the AC1900 only refers to the wireless capability. As they do both a wireless router and a modem/router, some people have made the mistake and ordered the wrong one instead of the VR900 and found it did not have a DSL input.

The VR900 is quite popular on this forum, as its also compatible with BT TV subscription channels, as some other routers are not.

DW24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

removed 

Make sure I have the right one Keith 

0 Ratings