Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OddJob
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Complete Wi-fi, upgrade or not?

Hi,

I have an offer from BT to upgrade for an extra £7 per month to SH2 with discs for no up-front cost and a £75 BT voucher.  I'm currently running a HH5 which gives good speed (866mbps) nearby but has poor range and drops to 27mbps further away.  I'm therefore also running my older HH4 as an extender/wired switch giving 270mbps nearby.  I'm using Comtrend powerline adapters. Both hubs are at head height with Hub 5 in a central position.  A mere 40 ft away cellphones and laptop struggle to get a signal on 2.4 or 5 Ghz.

The Complete Wifi offer looks very tempting and I was about to go ahead but having seen some comments on the forum I am now somewhat dubious.

I'd appreciate advice anyone can offer based on their knowledge and experience.

Regards.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
krs84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Complete Wi-fi, upgrade or not?

Did you sign up for this? Looking for input from someone who might have.

I've just had FTTP installed today and one of the main rooms I use the WIFI falls below the 300mbit speed of the line. After speaking to someone they don't guarantee that you can get a certain speed via the wireless discs and it does tie you in for an 18 month contract. It's not a huge amount of money over 18 months but even so I'd prefer to avoid paying for something unnecessary.

It looks as if WDS is hidden in the Smart Hub 2 settings so I don't think you can even use that to link wireless routers to get the extra coverage. Looks like it might be a cat6 cable through the loft space for me!

0 Ratings
OddJob
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi krs84, Just signed up, but on a different deal. Haven't hooked up yet, so I'll let you know in a few days.
Regards
Oddjob
0 Ratings
krs84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Thanks! I'll check back soon!

0 Ratings