Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Computer cant connect to 5ghz band

Go to solution

Hi there, wondering if I could get some help with this.

My PC doesn't seem to be able to connect to my 5ghz band.

I tried removing most my devices from the 5ghz band to reserve it for my PC.

But it always says it cant connect. My partner can connect to 5ghz fine with their PC, but even when their PC is switched off mine cant connect.

Ive just started working from home and have to use cisco VPN, it works fine for work, but when its my day off and I disconnect from VPN, my computer seems to struggle on 2ghz to watch twitch and play games online.

Ive updated my network card but still no good.

Any advice for my situation? would port forwarding or UPnP help in the hubs settings?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Computer cant connect to 5ghz bands

Go to solution

Can your computer 'see' the SSID of the 5ghz network or it can see the network but won't connect when your enter the password

which hub version are you using? As long as not the SH2 have you tried splitting the networks.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

The smart hub I have is the BT Smart Hub Original  <-- see picture

My computer can see the network, it already knows the password, but when I click on it to tell it to connect to the 5ghz, it just says 'cant connect to network'

Yes, I split the networks so they appear as 2ghz and the 5ghz one.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

have you tried a factory reset by pressing recessed button on back and holding 20/30 secs till lights flash

when it restarts you need to turn off smart setup and split networks again.  see if it will connect now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Id like to add, this only happens when im next door in the living room, if im in my home office 5ghz works fine.

Im seperated by one wall in each room, and in my office where it can connect im probably 2 metres away from router and in the living room and im about 3 metres away from router and cant connect.

Ive turned the router off and on again a few times, ive not power cycled it yet though. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

If other devices can connect ok it would appear to be an iffy wireless adapter in your PC.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

so you can connect to the 5ghz network just not when you are further away from router  the 5ghz network does not cover as far and any think in-between you and hub will restrict the 5ghz signal hence why 2.4ghz covers a wider area and is connecting without a problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks for that, do you think paying the extra £3 for the BT wireless spot will help in that room to connect to the 5ghz?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Why not just stick to the 2.4GHz band when you are out of range?

Wireless extenders will not help unless the extender itself can connect to the 5GHz band in that room.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Try uninstalling the wireless card and re-start your PC. It will re-install when your re-start your PC.

If that doesn't help, a cheaper option than a BT wireless hotspot would be to buy a dual band wireless dongle for a few pounds and install that on the PC after turning off the onboard wireless card. If that works OK you know its a faulty network card and can either replace it or just keep the wireless dongle connected.

0 Ratings