Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: Computer cant connect to 5ghz bands

Go to solution

The reason i dont want to use the 2ghz band when im out of range is because every other device is connected to it. Be it amazon alexas, phones, firesticks, playstations, smart bulbs, all be it some of them are turned off when i dont need to use them.

I wanted to keep the 5ghz just for the pc.

I dont think its the network card, i replaced it last year to a decent asus one and ive never had a problem with internet til recently.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

If other devices connect ok when in the same location, can't see how it can it be anything else.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Have you tried a wifi analyser to see what the 5Ghz signal strength is like when you are in the living room.

Do you know what the partition wall is made of. Some walls have foil backed insulation panels which does a great job at stopping wireless signals.  

If you have never had a problem until recently it could be some new device that you have added to your house that is causing wireless interference or as previously stated, your wireless card has a fault. Does it have an external aerial or is it part of the card. If you are in the habit of moving the PC it could be that either the aerial has become loose or the wireless card is loose and needs to be re-seated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

i'll try taking the network card out and reinstalling it and i'll let you know what happens.

i did buy a bluetooth wireless dongle recently for the other pc, i have one in my pc too for controllers.

I don't have any foil insulation in the walls that i'm aware of, they are just cavity walls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

It's not a Bluetooth wireless dongle I was referring to, it was a wireless network dongle which would replace your onboard network card and connect to your routers wireless signal.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

@Kevinff wrote:

Id like to add, this only happens when im next door in the living room, if im in my home office 5ghz works fine.

Im seperated by one wall in each room, and in my office where it can connect im probably 2 metres away from router and in the living room and im about 3 metres away from router and cant connect.

Your heading is actually very misleading as from posting above  you can connect to the 5ghz network but when you move to next room and 3m away from hub with wall inbetween you have problems with the 5ghz network. So maybe it is just distance from hub and wall  that it is the problem and not wireless card

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

I managed to fix it myself. Well, so far so good.

I went into the hubs settings and changed the Channel numbers the 2ghz and the 5ghz were connected to.

So instead of it being connected to channel 1 and channel 11, i changed it to a different channel no. for each and now my pc can connect to both bands without randomly disconnecting.

0 Ratings