cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Confused as to what I need for wifi!

I have an old farmhouse with a 6' thick chimney breast in the middle of it. My office with PC and BT Hub 5 is at one end of the house and my home studio is at the other end of the house.

I have a Devolo 550 Duo to get internet to the studio via the mains wiring. This works fantastically well with a wired connectection to my studio Mac, I only plug this in for updates though so it is disconnected most of the time. What I really need is wifi in there so I can use my phone for Youtube, web browsing etc.

The Devolo has a spare ethernet socket so onto the questions,

Can I connect a box to the Devolo spare port that will act as a wifi point?

What should I search for? All of my searches so far have bought up wireless wifi repeaters and boosters which is not what I need. I have tried one of these boosters and it didn't work well at all.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Confused as to what I need for wifi!

You can use any router as a wifi access point - just disabled DHCP and assign it a static IP address outside of the range assigned by your main router.  Some routers have a dedicated access point mode which means the router can access the internet directly to download firmware upgrades and get the current time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Or just buy a dedicated Wireless access point, there are many to choose from . If you only want single band wifi, they are very cheap. I have used this one in the past, Edimax EW-7228APn N150 Wireless Access Point with 5 Port switch, £20 from Amazon or there is the TP-LINK TL-WA901ND 450 Mbps Wireless N Access Pointat about £25

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a spare BT Smart Hub 5, I will look into trying to use that and if it gets complicated I will get an off the shelf one!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Hub5 is a doddle to convert to a WAP. Just change its address to 192.168.1.20 and disable DHCP. Connect the powerline adaptor Ethernet port to one of the LAN ports on the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

My mistake, I have a Smart Hub 6

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Pretty much the same.

0 Ratings