Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Confused.com

Go to solution

After having recently moved "up" to Infinity2 (from 1) I was getting reasonable "down" speeds of 61mbs & good "up" speeds of 18mbs.

This was using a cheapo wi-fi usb connector from fleabay (£5.99)

So, I thought I would try using a LAN connection (using the supplied ethernet cable from BT)

Moved the router close to the socket & plugged it in & checked the speeds again

Down speed 60mbs....fair enough although I had hoped for something a bit faster

Up speed 10mbs.................... Smiley Frustrated

What is going on here then ?

I repeated these tests over 3 days & the results are proved by remaining constant (within 5%) over about 20 speed checks

I genuinly thought that the LAN connection would be better, obviously not.

Can anybody explain what is going on here ?

Cheers

Richard.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Confused.com

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Or post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for replying Keith 

Now, did you read my post correctly ?

The speed of my connection is not an issue

I was wondering why a cheapo wi-fi link performed twice as well as a LAN connection on the upload test ?

Richard

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You said " Down speed 60mbs....fair enough although I had hoped for something a bit faster", which is why I asked.

As to the differece in the upload speed, it could be caused by Duplex mismatch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

Or simply down to the performance of your network card.

0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

The network "card" could be an issue I suppose, it's embedded in the Mobo & has the right numbers in its specs, of course specs & promises are not always the same Smiley Wink

Duplexing does not seem to me to be the problem as down speed is almost exactly the same using wifi or LAN, but I will check that out as best I can

It's the "up" speed difference that is confusing me with something like a 45% drop using a LAN connection

In theory a wi-fi & LAN connection should be the same speedwise especially over short distances, but I had hoped to see some gains with the "direct" connection.

The obvious solution (which I have done) is to revert to the wi-fi link

I wonder, is there a "spec sheet" available for hub 5a do you know ?

Richard.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You could see if there are any updated drivers for the network card.

The way to prove a duplex mismatch, is to look at the hardware properties of the LAN network card, and change the speed settings from "auto-negotiate" to "100Mbs full duplex"

Don`t be misled by the connection speed showing on the wireless adapter, as they often bear no relationship with the actual throughput.

The true test, which you may already be doing, it to use the BT Wholesale performance tester on each connection type.

Also, if you do make a LAN connection test, remember to turn the wireless adapter off.

0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I've done all this Keith

It's a bit of a mystery to me 

It's probably time to let it go now, I'm sure I'm "missing something" but things are working well enough the way they are

I may re-visit this sometime in the future

Cheers

Richard.

0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Solved, but I'm not sure why....

I went back to trying a Ethernet cable again & this time it was an old cat5 about 5meters long that meant I could leave the router where it was in the passage.

Plugged in & the "up" speed came back to be more or less in line with the wi-fi speed  ???

Brought the router back into the "office" & sat it on top of the PC as before & then (old habits die hard) tidyed the cable up & clip a cable tie on & tried again.................. speed drop on the "up" signal again ....

Then, untied the cable & let it lie on the floor.....

Speed came back up to where it was with the wi-fi.... Smiley Surprised

Was the router physically sitting on the PC (sitting right over where the power supply of the PC is)  the problem or did it not like the cable being bunched up together in a lump ??

Distance from router to LAN socket something like 10"

Inductance ?

Interference from the switching power supply ?

To close to the screen/amp/speakers  & other stuff on my desk ?

Still confused.com but just happy that it can work at full throttle with a cable if I need to.

Richard

ps ...now I think of it the bungalow consumer unit is only a couple of feet away on the other side of the passage wall against which my gear is set up against & the partition boards are foil backed as well 

Could well be described as a "hostile enviroment" for tech stuff to live in Smiley Happy

0 Ratings