cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Connect Hub to another router as wireless ?

Go to solution

Friend of mine just emailed me with this and I can't answer it because I don't use the BT home hub and have never read the instructions for it.  Can't find any paperwork (manual) for it online.

He has a laptop which has wifi.  He uses this to connect to the BT HH.  All is working fine and he is happy with it.

He got given an old Dell for Christmas (desktop) with a very large hard drive (1TB)  but which has no wifi/dongle and he is strapped for cash.

He wants to continue using his laptop and encourage his Missus to use a computer.  He wants to share and move data from machine to machine.

The Windows settings are easy enough but he wants to set up his own little network using the BT HH.

I've got an old Netgear modem I am not using which is working fine.

The question is - can the modem be used in place of a wifi adapter to connect to the BT HH?  

This will save him having wires trailing about the place (which will most definitely put his Missus off) and the money for a wif adapter.  He isn't mean, he is on a state pension and times are tight.   

Any help of ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheffie

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connect Hub to another router as wireless ?

Go to solution

No, you cannot use a modem as a WiFi adapter, as they will not operate in the "client" mode.

You will have to either use a USB wireless adapter, which are quite cheap these days, or run an Ethernet cable directly from the home hub, to the computer.

An Ethernet cable would be the best, cheapest,  and most reliable option.

0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi Keith, happy new year.

Well was worth an ask:-)

I gave him a wire to connect them but the Missus saw it and an icy glow manifested itself aound both computers and me and my old friend.  This is not going to happen, definitely while he wants the Missus to get on a computer.

Guess I will just have to treat him next month. 

Thanks and all the best,

Cheffie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution