cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giomach
Message 1 of 8

Connect XP to BT Home Hub 5 via ethernet cable?

Go to solution

My main computer runs Vista, and accesses the internet via broadband (btinternet, with BTHomeHub5 router).  This works fine.

I have an older computer, running XP SP3, which used to have a dial-up connection to a now defunct ISP.  I fitted an ethernet cable between the XP machine and the router, and created a new connection under XP.  I think I made all the right choices, but when I try to connect to the new connection, I see "connecting through WAN miniport (PPPOE)", and then "Error 678: the remote computer did not respond..."

I then followed the steps recommended by MS to solve this message, without success.

Any ideas, please?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connect XP to BT Home Hub 5 via ethernet cable?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

There is no need to create any connection, just plug it into the home hub, and the connection should be automatically detected.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@giomach wrote:

My main computer runs Vista, and accesses the internet via broadband (btinternet, with BTHomeHub5 router).  This works fine.

I have an older computer, running XP SP3, which used to have a dial-up connection to a now defunct ISP.  I fitted an ethernet cable between the XP machine and the router, and created a new connection under XP.  I think I made all the right choices, but when I try to connect to the new connection, I see "connecting through WAN miniport (PPPOE)", and then "Error 678: the remote computer did not respond..."

I then followed the steps recommended by MS to solve this message, without success.

Any ideas, please?

It sounds as if the ethernet adapter on the XP machine is set for a static IP address, set it to obtain an IP address by DHCP.

0 Ratings
giomach
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, but what should I do now? Network Connections shows 1 broadband connection (recently created), and 2 dial-up connections (ancient, but I'd rather not delete them). I have set these 3 as "not default connection".

In addition there is 1 internet gateway connection, which I can disconnect (but this deactivated the hub and I had to reset it), and 1 LAN or high speed internet connection, using my ethernet card, which I cannot disable ("may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play").

Can I get to the situation you recommend of having no connection, without actually deleting all the above, which I am reluctant to do?  No combination of disconnect/disable/default seems to produce any result with the browser except "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

One webpage I saw said "This error occurs when the server does not support PPP, such as a Windows NT 3.51 or earlier remote access server, or a SLIP server."  Does BT's server support it?

0 Ratings
giomach
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

It sounds as if the ethernet adapter on the XP machine is set for a static IP address, set it to obtain an IP address by DHCP.

Thanks to V_Meldrew, but DHCP is enabled in "Advanced TCP/IP settings".

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You should not need to set up or change any settings. Windows should have automatically made an Ethernet connection to the Homehub.

Disconnect your Ethernet cable from your computer then try uninstalling the Ethernet adaptor in Device Manager.  Restart your computer and Windows should re-install it. Once it has done that plug in your Ethernet cable to your computer and the Homehub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@giomach wrote:

Thanks to V_Meldrew, but DHCP is enabled in "Advanced TCP/IP settings".

Does this help? (Link to a networking article on tp-link website)

0 Ratings
giomach
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Solved it at last.

IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy Server > Uncheck "Use a proxy server"

(LAN Settings > "Automatically detect settings" was off.)

Got the hint from installing FireFox, which explicitly reported "The proxy server is refusing connections" and showed in Tools > Options > Network > Connection Settings that it was set to "Use system proxy settings". Changing to "No proxy" fixed it — "Autodetect proxy settings for this network" might do as well — and then I did the same for IE.

Thanks to all who offered help.

0 Ratings