cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audidoody2
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Connect an additional router to a smart hub

Has anyone any bright ideas how to connect a tp link router as an additional wifi access point?  Had it all set up fine on my Sky router but the smart hub doesnt want to recognise the tp link.  Have reset the ip addresses so that they dont conflict but the hub doesn’t even show that there is anything connected?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Connect an additional router to a smart hub

Are you using an Ethernet cable to connect the devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

What IP address have you given the tp link? It needs to be outside of the DHCP range of the HH,  suggest 192.168.1.20

Have you connected the devices LAN port to LAN port?

0 Ratings
Audidoody2
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

I am, via a switch thats connected to the home cctv recorde rin the loft
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 16

@Audidoody2wrote:

Has anyone any bright ideas how to connect a tp link router as an additional wifi access point?  Had it all set up fine on my Sky router but the smart hub doesnt want to recognise the tp link.  Have reset the ip addresses so that they dont conflict but the hub doesn’t even show that there is anything connected?

The default gateway address of the SmartHub is 192.168.1.254.

Assuming you haven't changed that then disable the DHCP server on the tp-link, set the tp-link address to one which does not fall within the Smarthub DHCP pool (say 192.168.1.1). and connect the two together via an ethernet cable. That's all there is to it.

You can also set the SSID to be the same as the SmartHub, that way you won't have to log out of one and into the other, your device will automatically go to the best signal

Note that having two DHCP servers on one subnet is a recipe for disaster, you could disable either one of them but it's probably best to disable the one on the tp-link

0 Ratings
Audidoody2
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Thats exactly the one i gave it, its connected to the lan ports - seems like the smart hub doesn’t want to recognise the other router?
0 Ratings
Audidoody2
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

I’ve tried that but it didnt work. Will try again in the morning!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@Anonymous wrote:

You can also set the SSID to be the same as the SmartHub, that way you won't have to log out of one and into the other, your device will automatically go to the best signal

No it won't

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 16

@Audidoody2wrote:
I am, via a switch thats connected to the home cctv recorde rin the loft

Connecting Lan- Lan is correct, are you sure your not trying to connect  WAN/Lan to Lan? that can be unpredictable

Try it in the same room as the router to eliminate the switch. ie Smarthub-ethernet cable-TpLink

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 16

@licquoricewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

No it won't

It Does, I use the same arrangement on my own home network and it works fine.

I log on once and then I can move around the house as much as I like and my devices always follow, it may not switch immediately but it does after a short delay.

0 Ratings