cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Connect black disc to hub via 8port switch?

Go to solution

Can I connect a black disc in an outhouse to the bt router via an 8 way switch?  The BT guide doesn’t make it clear:

If you're using Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can. If you wish, you can locate a disc a long distance from your hub (router) - for example, in an outbuilding - and have an Ethernet cable connection back to your hub (router). Just plug in the cable in the disc’s RJ45 socket and it'll join your Whole Home Wi-Fi network.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connect black disc to hub via 8port switch?

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, the black discs can only connect to the hub via Wifi. It is the white whole Home discs that are connected to the hub via Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @WateringCan   I had one of my complete WiFi black discs connected through two 8 port unmanaged gigabit switches. Works fine and reports connected by Ethernet. 5 GHz devices connect fine but strangely the disc reports connected by 2.4 GHz to the SH2 as well.

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUser  Interesting, I thought the Ethernet port on the black disc could only be used for 'onward' connections to devices rather than backhaul to the hub and that the backhaul had to be wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @licquorice 

Connected by Ethernet (via two switches)

Screenshot 2021-08-08 171844.jpg

And over WiFi

Screenshot 2021-08-08 172152.jpg

Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

👍👍

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks to all for your replies.

The consensus is that it will work so I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

am I being naive in hoping that simply connecting an existing disc to the switch is all that’s required, or will I need to modify the disc’s configuration?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @WateringCan   I flicked between the two connection types by simply plugging in the Ethernet cable and taking it out again. No configuration changes. See images above.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I have a new black disc which, when connected to my Home Hub 2 through WiFi, was giving ‘speed to device’ of 108mb to my iPhone.  

I then plugged the disc into an 8 port switch using Ethernet cable. The switch is connected to the HH2 with Ethernet. The speed test now shows ‘speed to device’ of 298mb to my iPhone. My contract is do 300mb. 

The disc and HH2 are only 1.5m apart but separated by a 1m cob and stone wall. This shows that the BT disc can be used as an access point by Ethernet 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings