cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyally
Message 1 of 5

Connecting BT TV to BT Home Hub using Netgear WN3000RP Universal WIFI Range Extender

Hi,

My connection details are BT Home Hub at front of my house and BT TV at back of my house.

If I connect the supplied 10m ethernat cable between the two, then my BT TV box can access my broadband connection fine. But because, I didnt want to be able to see the wire, I decided to invest in the Netgear WIFI Range Extender and connect the BT TV to the extender using a shorter ethernet cable and then rely upon the wireless connection to the BT Home Hub.

Unfortunately the BT TV comes up with an error suggesting check my broadband connection.

I've checked that the Wireless network between the hub and the router is working by connecting my mobile phone to the extender and accessing the internet (via the BT Home Hub) and it works fine, so I was wondering if anyone else has tried to do this and possibly suggest whether it should be possible.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Steve Lyall

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Connecting BT TV to BT Home Hub using Netgear WN3000RP Universal WIFI Range Extender

You cannot use wireless as it does not support multicast.

Some powerline adapters will work with BT TV, I believe some people are using the BT ones.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/broadband-extenders/

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: Connecting BT TV to BT Home Hub using Netgear WN3000RP Universal WIFI Range Extender

I think most powerline adapters will work. I've used Netgear & TP-Link without issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

You cannot use wireless as it does not support multicast.

I think it's correct that the BT HomeHubs will not send the multicast extra live BT TV channels over their built in wireless, but I'm pretty sure that all the unicast on-demand content will work fine if the BT TV box recognises the connection and it's stable enough.

A common question on the BT TV forum is why only the on-demand is working over wireless (using a wireless adapter) and not the extra TV channels.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@lyally

Have you tried searching/asking on the BT TV Youview forum? Someone else might well have tried that particular Netgear device before with BT TV?

Obviously if you want the extra multicast TV channels on the box then that single Netgear device working with the HomeHub will not do the job. Powerline adapters might be a better choice in that case.

0 Ratings