Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MxttPitman
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Connecting Teckin Smart Plugs to BT Complete WiFi

Hi

I have been trying to connect these up for a few days now with no success. Im using the Smart Life app. I've done some research online and tried various things: 

• Resetting BT Hub to factory settings
  • Turning off Smart Setup
  • Turning off 5Ghz band (The SSID can't be split with Complete WiFi?)
  • Re naming the SSID
  • Changing the security type to WPA-Auto
  • Using WPS to connect (Not sure if thats even possible) 

I'm not really sure what else to try?

Do i need to restart the Hub after each of these changes as I haven't been doing that? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Connecting Teckin Smart Plugs to BT Complete WiFi

0 Ratings
MxttPitman
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply.

I've read through that and dont see anything else to try?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
I_Mck
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

There is no need for changing anything on your router at all, or using extenders etc. 
The instructions on the apps and with the plugs are misleading and poor. The discovery can't simply work as the smartplugs out of the box have no idea which wifi network to connect to,  or any passwords etc so they cannot possibly get onto the wifi network, hence the discovery fails.
(The only reason extenders work is because the extenders have the login details for the network so the plugs don't need to know them to get on.)
When using the Apps (either smart life or Tuya smart)  Put the plug into pairing mode by holding the button in for 5 secs until it is flashing quickly. 
1) Press the + sign to add manually
2) Choose Socket
3) Select AP MODE at the top of the screen
It will then ask you to choose the network and password FOR YOUR HOME ROUTER.  When you enter this, it will go to your available wifi network connections and you select smartlife, rather than your home network to connect directly to the plug.
Once connected, the app will pass the network details to the plug which allows it to get onto your network. The app will then disconnect from the plug, reconnect to your home network and run a discovery where it will now find the plug as both the plug and app are now on your home wifi. Simply edit its details to give it a name and its now ready to be connected to the Alex/Google apps.
I hope I have made this clear. It looks complicated, but its actually very simple when using the app  and takes a minute to do. It's just very badly explained in the app.  I'm a network professional and it took me a good while to figure out what was going wrong.  

Hammerman17
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

You’ve just saved my sanity! Thanks so much for this step by step guide.

0 Ratings
Cassie
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I realise this is an old thread but after upgrading router to smart hub 2 we are having trouble reconnecting our 4 plugs.

Took about 3 days last time when one eventually connected and the other 3 then connected very quickly.

your fix was then tried as it made perfect sense, however the AP mode does not appear when we tried this method, just asks to make sure we are on the correct bandwidth which we are then screen goes straight to show new hub router address , then asks for new password, when this is entered it starts trying to connect, clock goes around to 100% then it fails to connect.

Changed new router to Mac, 2 iPhones, kindle, firesticcks and TVs etc today but are stumped with this again.

0 Ratings
P_Rodgers
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

My Fix

(Had previously switched off 5Ghz and Smart Setup before this as having issues, they were still off when resolved)

To Add Existing Plugs to new router

While phone/tablet connected to the BT Wi-Fi

Login to the Smart Life app

Power down the plug for 10 seconds

Power on the Plug

on the Plug HOLD down the button for 5s (flashes fast)

Then

Again on the Plug HOLD down the button 5 (Flashes slow ) AP mode, generates its own Wi-Fi

In the app select Plus to add device

Select Socket Wi-Fi

Enter the BT WIFI password

The First Scan will Fail

Then Switch Pairing Mode

Follow the instructions when asked to change network

Change the network to Smart life (Generated by the plug so may be different names)

Press back (to app) and scan will find the plug and re-attach it to the network with its existing name (The name may be the same but it lost the link to all my Alexa routines)

Note: - My final plug was a WOOX, same as before except had to confirm hotspot connection after selecting the Plug network

0 Ratings
Adrian2807
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Read through all of these instructions yesterday trying to re connect Smart Plugs to new Hub 2. Had no luck at all.

Today took the plugs upstairs to try and connect them in the room where we have a disc. All connected straight away without any issues.

0 Ratings
JeromeL
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Hi All,

I have found the solution to this issue. Go to the BT Hub Manager Switch off 5Ghz then save, then turn off "smart hub" and save. Set up your plug in pairing mode. After a full minute, I connected my first plug and it took a full 2mins to connect the second one. After, you can switch 5Ghz and smart Hub back on and save.

I used Teckin plugs with the Smartlife app. Took me an hour to find out the solution to this but I'm sure it will work for all smart plugs.

0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

@JeromeLwrote:

I used Teckin plugs with the Smartlife app. Took me an hour to find out the solution to this but I'm sure it will work for all smart plugs.

Hi @JeromeL   Strangely the last time I registered my Teckin plugs they connected first time close to a Complete WiFi Disc without messing about with the 5 GHz band! They wouldn’t connect close to the SH2.

0 Ratings