cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MxttPitman
Message 1 of 4

Connecting Teckin Smart Plugs to BT Complete WiFi

Hi

I have been trying to connect these up for a few days now with no success. Im using the Smart Life app. I've done some research online and tried various things: 

• Resetting BT Hub to factory settings
  • Turning off Smart Setup
  • Turning off 5Ghz band (The SSID can't be split with Complete WiFi?)
  • Re naming the SSID
  • Changing the security type to WPA-Auto
  • Using WPS to connect (Not sure if thats even possible) 

I'm not really sure what else to try?

Do i need to restart the Hub after each of these changes as I haven't been doing that? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connecting Teckin Smart Plugs to BT Complete WiFi

0 Ratings
MxttPitman
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply.

I've read through that and dont see anything else to try?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
I_Mck
Message 4 of 4

There is no need for changing anything on your router at all, or using extenders etc. 
The instructions on the apps and with the plugs are misleading and poor. The discovery can't simply work as the smartplugs out of the box have no idea which wifi network to connect to,  or any passwords etc so they cannot possibly get onto the wifi network, hence the discovery fails.
(The only reason extenders work is because the extenders have the login details for the network so the plugs don't need to know them to get on.)
When using the Apps (either smart life or Tuya smart)  Put the plug into pairing mode by holding the button in for 5 secs until it is flashing quickly. 
1) Press the + sign to add manually
2) Choose Socket
3) Select AP MODE at the top of the screen
It will then ask you to choose the network and password FOR YOUR HOME ROUTER.  When you enter this, it will go to your available wifi network connections and you select smartlife, rather than your home network to connect directly to the plug.
Once connected, the app will pass the network details to the plug which allows it to get onto your network. The app will then disconnect from the plug, reconnect to your home network and run a discovery where it will now find the plug as both the plug and app are now on your home wifi. Simply edit its details to give it a name and its now ready to be connected to the Alex/Google apps.
I hope I have made this clear. It looks complicated, but its actually very simple when using the app  and takes a minute to do. It's just very badly explained in the app.  I'm a network professional and it took me a good while to figure out what was going wrong.  

0 Ratings