cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Connecting WD Hard Drive

I have a WD 2TB hard drive that i want to connect to my BT SmartHub 2 via USB. If i connect it directly to my laptop (Windows 10) i can see it in File Explorer as "My Book". When connected to the smart hub i can see it connected on the Smart Hub 2 Manager but cannot see it via File Explorer. How do i save and retrieve files from it?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connecting WD Hard Drive

there are numerous posts about this found using search  here is one

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Connecting-external-hard-drive-to-BT-Smart-Hub-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8

Yeah, it's annoying that isn't it.

I assume you know the name of the shares that you set up on the WD, if not then create one by logging into the WD UI using a browser (by IP address). For sake of explanation, let's call it Fred.

Once you've done that, go back to Windows Explorer and enter (exactly) \\wdmycloud\fred in the navigation bar. Windows Explorer will then see it but it will not endure shudown so I recommend mapping it

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Sorry your solution does not work. I've enabled SMB 1 and even tried renaming the drive via direct connection but to no avail. I cannot see a drive attached to the USB port. I have an older WD drive that has an ethernet connection and i can see that no problem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Daft Question here but you HAVE "Mapped the drive" on yer main PC ...... Haven't you ???
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Not sure why won't work for you as works for me an others. Try searching forum see if any other solutions

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

You need to map a drive to \\192.168.1.254\usb1

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 8

@SCB123wrote:

Sorry your solution does not work. I've enabled SMB 1 and even tried renaming the drive via direct connection but to no avail. I cannot see a drive attached to the USB port. I have an older WD drive that has an ethernet connection and i can see that no problem.

I'm not sure who that message was intended for but my solution is based on the WD being connected to the hub by LAN and being a mycloud. 

If yours is connected by LAN but is a different model then the principle is sound, you just need to substitute the correct name

0 Ratings