cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Connecting a BT Hub

I have a Mac Book Pro OSX and have been using a BT Router for about 4 years after installing the "Router Manager.app" etc using the CD supplied with the BT Router.

I also now have a BT Hub at a different address, I connected the hub up, clicked on the Mac AirPort, input my "Wireless key" into my Mac and the system worked wirelessly almost immediately.  However, I did not run the CD supplied with the Hub because I was afraid that it would over-write or affect my "Router Manager.app".  Note that I also have not pressed the WPS button on the back of my BT Hub.

I have 3 questions;-

1. The CD supplied with the BT HUB:

Do I need to run the CD supplied with the BT HUB and if so, will it over-write or affect the running of my "Router Manager.app" as I wish to use the computer at the two address's ie using the Router at one address and the Hub at the other?

2. WPS:

I do not understand WPS and have not pressed the WPS button on the back of my BT Hub as suggested in the "BT Total Broadband - User guide and troubleshooting" booklet page 6 under "How to connect other computers or devices that don't use a CD".  How do I use the WPS, is my 6 year old Mac Book Pro likely to be "WPS-enabled" as mentioned in the booklet? 

I have to input my "Wireless key" into my Mac to access the broadband via the hub, so surely no one else can access the output from the hub without the "Wireless key", so why do I need my "Wireless WPS key PIN" and "Admin password"?

Is the WPS to do with BT's "Family Protection"? I see from the BT Broadband help website that "BT Family Protection" is not yet available for Mac OSX, ie my computer.

Or, will all these questions in item 2, be answered by running the CD supplied with the Hub?

3. Another network:

When I look at the Networks available to my AirPort, in addition to the "BTHub etc" there is also occasionally a "Livebox-a1 etc", is that someone else's WiFi?

EQUIPMENT: BT8500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.5.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Connecting a BT Hub

If it's all working, you don't need either the CD or the WPS feature.

In fact, you don't need either. Period.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@bee2tee wrote:

I have 3 questions;-

1. The CD supplied with the BT HUB:

Do I need to run the CD supplied with the BT HUB and if so, will it over-write or affect the running of my "Router Manager.app" as I wish to use the computer at the two address's ie using the Router at one address and the Hub at the other?

NO, do not use CD

2. WPS:

I have to input my "Wireless key" into my Mac to access the broadband via the hub, so surely no one else can access the output from the hub without the "Wireless key", so why do I need my "Wireless WPS key PIN" and "Admin password"?
You Dont need WPS

Is the WPS to do with BT's "Family Protection"? I see from the BT Broadband help website that "BT Family Protection" is not yet available for Mac OSX, ie my computer.

Nothing to do with Family Protection

Or, will all these questions in item 2, be answered by running the CD supplied with the Hub?

Do not use the CD

3. Another network:

When I look at the Networks available to my AirPort, in addition to the "BTHub etc" there is also occasionally a "Livebox-a1 etc", is that someone else's WiFi?

YES

0 Ratings
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Keith_Beddoe.

Sorry to be a pain, but what is the "Wireless WPS key PIN" and "Admin password" used for?  BT have put them both together on a small sticky label but nowhere is there any advice about their use.

Additionally, am I correct in thinking that no one else can access my hub without my password: you hear stories of perverts accessing other peoples wifi.

EQUIPMENT: BT8500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.5.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@bee2tee wrote:

Thanks Keith_Beddoe.

Sorry to be a pain, but what is the "Wireless WPS key PIN" and "Admin password" used for?  BT have put them both together on a small sticky label but nowhere is there any advice about their use.

Its an attempt to simplify wireless connections with certain devices. Not needed in your case.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Your admin password is needed to access the configuration settings on your hub.

Additionally, am I correct in thinking that no one else can access my hub without my password: you hear stories of perverts accessing other peoples wifi.

Nobody can access your hub unless they know your wireless key. Networks without a wireless key are open to anyone.

0 Ratings
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the link Keith_Beddoe.

Wiki says that it is better not to use WPS as it can be hacked:- 

"A major security flaw was revealed in December 2011 that affects wireless routers with the WPS feature, which most recent models have and enable by default. The flaw allows a remote attacker to recover the WPS PIN and, with it, the network's WPA/WPA2 pre-shared key in a few hours.[4] Users have been urged to turn off the WPS feature,[5] although this may not be possible on some router models."

As I have not pressed the WPS button on the back of my BT Hub and not been asked for the pin, I assume that my WPS is not operational and therefore cannot be hacked.

0 Ratings