cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Connecting a DD-WRT router to BT Smart Hub

Apologise beforehand, my knowledge and technical lingo is basic.

I have had BT broadband installed today and it came with the BT Smart Hub 2 and works fine.  However when i try to run a ethernet cable to my DD-WRT router, the DD-WRT router is not getting a internet connection from the Hub.  

The aim is to have all the i-pads, phones etc to run of of the BT Hub WiFi, then my P.C. and Xbox to run on the DD-WRT router via ethernet.  I phoned BT who said it was possible to do this with the BT Smart Hub and said they would email me some settings but i can't make any sense of them, plus i cannot find any options on either the Hub or DD-WRT router where i could implement or change the settings. 

I have attached a picture of the settings they have emailed me.pic settings.jpg

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Connecting a DD-WRT router to BT Smart Hub

Welcome to this user forum. @Pokerhontis999 

The Smart Hub cannot be used just as a modem, so you cannot use your own router unless you do not use the smart hub, and buy a separate VDSL modem.

The instructions you have been sent, are for a VDSL modem/router combination.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

That's just ridiculous. The all powerful Smart Hub is not capable of something so basic. Back to Sky broadband it is for it seems.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@Pokerhontis999 wrote:
That's just ridiculous. The all powerful Smart Hub is not capable of something so basic. Back to Sky broadband it is for it seems.

I am not aware that Sky provide a router which is capable of operating in a "modem only" mode, similar to what Virgin Media provide.

You can buy a separate modem, or get a secondhand Openrech modem on an online auction site.

You can of couse simply use your router as a wireless access point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@Pokerhontis999  If you want use 2 routers rather than a modem and router (which is what you appear to want to do) then you need to set them up in different subnets. Leave the Home hub at the default 192.168.1.xxx subnet and set your DD-WRT router as 192.168.2.xxx subnet. Set the WAN port of the DD-WRT router to 192.168.1.10 and gateway to 192.168.1.254 Set the DHCP server of the DD-WRT to hand out addresses for the 192.168.2.xxx subnet. You will need to connect one of the LAN ports of the hub to the WAN port of the DD-WRT router. You will be double natting but as long as you don't use port forwarding for anything, it shouldn't be a problem. The 2 subnets will also be isolated from each other.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I don't think you have understood what i was trying to say, which is probably my fault i apologise.  When i was using the Sky Hub i ran a ethernet cable from it to my Linksys WRT1900acs (flashed with DD-WRT) then connected my p.c. and xbox to the Linksys.  This is what i am trying to do now and failing.  Yes you're right i didn't have a modem with sky that is why i am confused when you said that i would need one.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Read what @licquorice  has said.

If you were just linking the Sky router LAN port, to a LAN port on your DD-WRT router, then you were simply using it as an Ethernet switch, and a wireless access point, not as a router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Did you connect the Sky box and the Lynksys LAN-LAN or LAN-WAN?

Connecting 2 routers together is never really a good idea and not really sure why you would want to do it hence Keith suggesting using a standalone modem rather than the hub.

Edit: Keith posted as I was typing

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Thank you, i will give it a try. It seems a lot more complicated than Sky. I just plugged an ethernet cable into the back of the Sky hub and then connected the DD-WRT router to the other end and that was it. I then wired my p.c. to the DD-WRT and that was it, i didn't have to change any settings.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Keith yes you're right. That's exactly how i was using it. The DD-WRT router was being used as Ethernet switch and a wireless access point. Do i need to configure the BT Smart Hub in order to do this.
0 Ratings