Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ROWBOTG2
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Connecting a PC to BT Infinity Broadband

Go to solution

Hi ,

Looking for advice , as a non techy please.

I have BT Infinity 1 with the Hub 5 in the lounge connected into the main BT incoming line as this was how I was advised I would get the best speeds.

I tend to work solely off Wi Fi , with two i phones and a laptop which is pretty stationary in an office.

AS Im not really using the laptop in a flexible way and its on its last legs Im thinking of replacing it with an All in One type desktop PC.

My question is would I be able to connect the PC via an Ethernet type cable direct into the telephone extension socket  ( it has a filter on it )I have in the office and therefore replace the wi fi connection with a directly wired one and maybe faster speeds.

Im not sure what type of cable would be required for this and if the speed would be OK as its an extension socket off the main line in the lounge ?

Any help on the feasibility of this appreciated

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connecting a PC to BT Infinity Broadband

Go to solution

No, that wouldn't be possible, you need an Ethernet connection. This could be simply achieved by means of powerline adaptors if you didn't want to run a new cable, which effectively turn your mains wiring into an Ethernet cable. Alternatively, if the desktop PC doesn't already have a wireless adaptor, USB wireless dongles are available to give the PC wiifi capability.

The third option would be to simply plug the hub in the extension socket and check if the speed is still acceptable, which it quite possibly could be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Your PC can only connect to an Ethernet port on the home hub using an Ethernet cable.

You cannot connect it to a phone extension.

0 Ratings
ROWBOTG2
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you , Ill try option 3 first
0 Ratings
ROWBOTG2
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks , that's clear albeit slightly disappointing
0 Ratings
ROWBOTG2
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Decided to re open this.

Spoke to BT this morning who said with my home  set up , positiong to the exchange etc they would not recommend moving the Hub from the main incoming line.They said the main line could be moved to the upstairs office but I dont fancy that so its Powerline adaptors.

They described two adaptors , one downstairs connected to the Hub via Ethernet cable and one in the upstairs office connected via Etherbnet cable to the PC.

Has anyone tried this and if so which Adapotor brand is best ? , BT have them I understandand and did it improve speed ?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

The BT ones are on this page.

https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

They normally perform much better, and are more reliable than using wireless.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@ROWBOTG2 wrote:

Decided to re open this.

Spoke to BT this morning who said with my home  set up , positiong to the exchange etc they would not recommend moving the Hub from the main incoming line.They said the main line could be moved to the upstairs office but I dont fancy that so its Powerline adaptors.

They described two adaptors , one downstairs connected to the Hub via Ethernet cable and one in the upstairs office connected via Etherbnet cable to the PC.

Has anyone tried this and if so which Adapotor brand is best ? , BT have them I understandand and did it improve speed ?

Thanks again

It will cost you nothing except possibly 10 minutes of your time to plug the hub into the extension and see what speed you get, you can then decidde if it is acceptable or if you need powerline adaptors.