Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Connecting a PC to a BT HomeHub2 using Broadband Extenders

Go to solution

Hi, I've just ordered a pair of BT Broadband Extenders (600 Flex) to (hopefully) prevent the frequent drop outs that my PC is suffering using a Wi Fi connection.  To prepare, I've looked at the user guide online - which seems to suggest all that I need to do is plug an ethernet cable from the extender into my PC.  My questions are therefore:

1)  Is that really all that I need to do, or do I have to change any settings on my PC?  (It's running Windows 10).

2)  Should I leave the existing wireless connection set up on the PC or would that cause some sort of interference with the ethernet connection?

Thanks for any guidance.

BR

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connecting a PC to a BT HomeHub2 using Broadband Extenders

Go to solution

Yes, that's all you need to do. Connect the master to an Ethernet socket on the hub and the slave to your PC. All it does is effectively turn your mains wiring into an Ethernet lead. You can leave the wireless or disable it if you wish, PCs usually select an Ethernet connection, if available, over a wireless connection.

BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Licquorice, thanks for the VERY quick response.  That is good to hear, I'll try that as soon as they appear.

One further question, if I may.  If it proves to be successful, I was considering purchasing another pair for the other devices in the house.  However, I have just read a thread on extendors to learn that one is a master and the other is a slave.  That would seem to imply I'd have to buy another TWO pairs.  Or is there a way that a master can be switched to work in slave mode?

BR

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Licquorice, you posted the diagram just as I was editing the above response, so you probably did not notice my update.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I'm not sure if you can buy just the slave devices, but it is possible to buy multi packs that consist of one master and 2 (possibly more) slaves. Don't think a master can be used as a slave.

0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I'm pleased to report that simply plugging in the ethernet cables is all one needs to do to get a connection, so thankyou Licquorice for the reassurance.

I managed to acquire a couple of old Simple Network homeplug adaptors and had some real fun and games attempting to connect them both to my network.  In the mean time, one of the Flex600 adaptors stopped working.  However, with blood, sweat and tears, I eventually managed to get all three 'slave' devices to connect - so success!  It would seem that there is no difference between a 'master' and a 'slave' until connected to the network?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks @BorderReiver for posting back to confirm you got this sorted and thanks @licquorice for the help.

cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings