cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Connecting a TP-Link W9980 to my btbroadband

Go to solution

I'm struggling to connect my TP router to the internet .. fed up with my old BThomehub-91FC. I've spoken to tech support at BT, the retailer and TP-Link and tried various things, and it seems to be the WAN interface that is the poroblem .. it is not configured. I've tried setting it up on a mac wielessly and a PC using an earthnet

Most seem to think it is because I'm not using the correct BT username and password .. have spoken to various BT tech folk and get a different story from each and the this forum seems to have differing views too. 

I've tried every combination I can think of including.... the original user name and password BT sent me way back when I first signed up for broadband ... anything.anthything@btbroadband.com with and without passwords (bt or BT), and my BT ID details for loging into to my online account ... and all to no avail .. any ideas most welcome

Thanks 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting a TP-Link W9980 to my btbroadband

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

There are a few people that can help with this.

I am confused when you talk about a WAN interface, as it plugs staight into the same place where the home hub did, assuming you are on either normal broadband, or BT Infinity delivered over copper. (FTTC)

@licquorice is probably the best person to help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Yes - I've basically replaced the homehub with the router. I'm on normal broadband
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Factory reset the TP Link and start again. Select xDSL modem router mode from the operation mode menu option assuming you are connecting directly to the phone line without a seperate modem. Go to quick setup and select BT VDSL from the menu. Username is homehub@btbroadband.com password is BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Ian_McKenzie wrote:
Yes - I've basically replaced the homehub with the router. I'm on normal broadband

Is it showing that the DSL is connected?

@licquorice its normal broadband, not heard anyone using it for that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Ok ignore previous if you are on normal broadband, you need to select ADSL_BT from isp list in quick setup and then username and password as before.

I have used the 9980 on both normal broadband and Infinity so can confirm it works.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks guys - that seems to be it sorted. It was set to VDSL_BT .. 

Very much appreciated

Ian

0 Ratings