Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Isy
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Connecting a TP Link switch to BT Home Hub 4

Go to solution

I have just bought a new BT home hub4 and Whole Home wifi package with 3 discs plus one additional single from BT.  Have successfully installed the hub and the discs and now have OK wifi coverage through most of the house but not all.  The discs are expensive so I would like to make use of the existing Cat 5 wiring that we put in a f couple of years back to give us internet in some of the rooms.

I have a spare ethernet port on the Home Hub and I want to use that to connect my TP link switch which is in the atic, so that I can then have internet access in those points the discs do not reach.  

My set up consists of  a cat 5 cable that runs from a point close to the hub all the way to the atic. From here further Cat 5 wiring goes directly  to the rooms where I need wired access and terminates at ethernet sockets where I connect with ethernet cable directly to devices.

As of now, (and it has taken me 3 days to figure out that this is what was causing the problem)  as soon as I try to plug in the cable that connects to the atic and then to the TP link into the spare port on the back of the router I can no longer access either the Home hub or the New router on any device.  So it effectively leaves me without any wifi anywhere in the house.

I am guessing that I probably need to change the settings on the TP link or maybe even reset it to factory settings and start again (very scary)?  I have no idea where to start with this as I am not very technical.

Any help much appreciated.

Isy

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Connecting a TP Link switch to BT Home Hub 4

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Where is the TP Link Ethernet switch located?

You need a separate cable from the switch, to each room, it cannot be looped through.

0 Ratings
Isy
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Keith Thank you for your prompt reply.  

The TP LInk Switch is in my office in the atic, its about 4 years old. We live in an old house, 4 floors, thick walls,  too many rooms.  The only way to get internet connection a few years back was to hard wire to the rooms where we needed it.  So that is what we did,  Cat 5 throughout and then we work teathered, placed wifi access points in some rooms,  but the whole system was a bit messy and didn't work very well for wifi and now that almost everything connects via wifi it was time to upgrade.

The BT system works well but if it prevents me from continuing to use the Cat 5 hardwiring then I have solved one problem but created another and will be back to square one.  My office is fairly essential to me. To connect this space with Whole home discs I would need at least another 3 assuming they daisychain because there is no way the main hub will transmit wifi this far from its point of origin. In any case I prefer to work hard wired up here as its quicker and more reliable. 

Hope this helps to make it clearer.

Isy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Isy
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
I do have separate cables going from the switch to each room. 4 of them to 4 rooms.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Its possible the cable run is too long, is the link light lit up on the Ethernet switch, on the port that connects to the home hub?

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/images/extending_network.jpg

I assume you have this arrangement?

0 Ratings
Isy
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Hum, Don't think its a cable length problem.  It was working brilliantly with my old Draytek hub last week. In any case it goes straight up through the floors so the distance is not that great.  It is quite a bit longer going from the loft to the separate rooms and that is working fine as I can test it by connecting devices to each and see the lights on the switch go on.  If I disconnect the devices the lights go off.  

I actually have 3 different cat 5 cables starting near the hub all running to the loft any one of those can be plugged into the switch and/or the back of the router (future proofing or so I thought at the time) I have tried them all with the same effect.  The hub does not like any of them. 

Your diagram is correct that is the setup I have.  I have now looked at the model number for the TP Link and I gather this is a pure and simple unmanaged switch with 8 ports so no internal settings to change even if I wanted to.  The Link light on the port that connects to the internet hub is not lit because the other end is not connected to the hub.  If I connect it then I loose Wifi.

Isy

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

If things were fine with the DrayTek in place why not revert to using that?

If you really want to use the Hub then you could try a factory reset using the recessed switch at the back.  Hold in for at least 20 seconds.  If that doesn't fix things it looks like a hub issue.

Ethernet cables can be up to 328 feet (100M) so it's unlikely you will have exceeded this.  It's possible the hub just can't cope with ethernet cables of more than a few metres.

0 Ratings
Isy
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Liam,

Yes I am going to turn everything off overnight and go and enjoy a nice glass of wine.  

Then tomorrow I am going to connect the switcher directly to the hub to test that again.  Factory reset every bit of kit and start again from scratch.  If that doesn't work I will see if BT can send me a new hub.

I will keep you all posted if I succeed and probably if I don't.

Thank you for taking time out of your Sunday to post back.  Tech is so frustrating......

Isy

0 Ratings
Isy
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
The DrayTek was OK for the hard wired connections but not very useful for wifi and it was quite old so needed replacing. Because we have so many issues with slow or non existent internet for months and months now and BT keep telling us its our hub and nothing to do with them we thought that moving to BT equipment would help. They could not even do a speed test on our hub because it doesn't talk to their system. But.... now if we continue to get the same issues with slow or non existent internet they will have no excuse as they will be able to see it all and so will I. 🙂

Isy
0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I think if you configure the TP link manually and give it a different SSID/network name to your router, it will work fine 😉

0 Ratings