Re: Connecting a TP Link switch to BT Home Hub 4

Go to solution

Its an Ethernet switch, not a wireless access point

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution
I assume the switch does not have any form of DHCP enabled?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Fair idea but doubtful.  The OP has said it's an unmanaged 8 port switch.  Very likely a SG1008D. 

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

Rather than plugging it into the router, have you tried plugging it into one of the discs?

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

I think you will find, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, mesh systems tend to set up a sub network all of their own. The router in that case becomes the server, and the devices become the access point(s). They including the router all share the same network SSID. This is why in theory the switch should work running off one of the discs. Hope this helps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Isy
Beginner
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Good morning everyone,

Thank you all for your help on this I think I have found the problem.  One of my sons had placed a small wifi spreader unit in one of the rooms linked to the TP Link switch. As we never use this room and the socket was behing a heavy wardrobe and no light was showing on the switch box for this connection I assumed that there was nothing there.  

But..... in the interest of making sure that the wiring was all sound I moved the wardrobe and found the spreader which I think is faulty in any case as it was not Showing up as connected to the switch box, but because it was plugged in was obviously causing a conflict of some sort on the router.

After removing the offending Item I have now reconnected everything back and I have it all working including the switch and am a very happy girl this morning.

Thank you all again for all your help.

Isy

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back and letting us now you've got this sorted @Isy. Appreciate you taking time to do that.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings