cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Connecting a USB printer to Home Hub 6

Go to solution

Hi All

I'm trying to connect a non-wireless printer to my HH6. I've plugged the printer's USB cable into the USB port on the back of the router and the printer doesn't show up as a USB device in my Smart Hub Manager. Anything obvious I'm missiing in getting the hub to detect the printer? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting a USB printer to Home Hub 6

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The USB port is for really for storage devices like USB memory sticks or hard drives, but this post may help to explain the difficulty.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Connecting-Printer-to-HH5-via-USB/td-p/1139090

You would be best connecting your printer direct to your computer.

Another option woul be something like the TP-Link TL-PS110U USB to Ethernet Print Server which would connect to one of the home hub`s Ethernet ports.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Thanks for the quick response. I read a few of the posts about this topic and some seem quite old so wondered if there was a newer solution.  A few people do seem to have connected printers via USB so maybe there is a trick I'm missing.

If there is no joy on this forum, I'll look into buying a print server as you suggest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The other issue, is that the USB port is very slow. Printers have to receive a lot of data to print images, so you could be in for a very long wait. It also consumes processor time on the home hub, and may affect download speed.

Print servers have the advantage, as they can buffer the whole of the print job, allowing your computer to get on with other tasks.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Thanks again for your reply. Your point about speed of printing is something I hadn't thought of. I'll get a print server ordered - much easier.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@carolinetoynbee wrote:

Hi Keith

Thanks again for your reply. Your point about speed of printing is something I hadn't thought of. I'll get a print server ordered - much easier.

Its much easier. The print server will be given an IP address by the home hub which your computer printer output driver will need to be directed to.

I would strongly advise that you login to the print server web interface, and configure its IP address so its static, and outside of the home hubs DHCP range, otherwise its likely to change, and your printer driver will be pointing to the wrong IP address.

You could set it to something like 192.168.1.50, and then make sure your printer driver directs the output to that IP address. There should be an instruction sheet, and possibly a setup disk, that will do that for you.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Great, thanks again.
0 Ratings