Message 11 of 18

Re: Connecting a new router

Go to solution

Please find below: 4.png

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

There's your problem, you have a G.Fast service which the Asus doesn't support.  You need the Asus DSL 88U to support G.Fast

Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

Ah, aha, fair enough.  I got that asus router as it was the only DSL router that was AX. Ill likely return  the one I got and purchase the one you suggested in that case.

Thank you ever so much for your help, and for taking the time to reply to me.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

G.Fast is a very niche market and there are extremely few routers with the capability, in fact the 88U is probably about the only one!

One of the Zyxel models does as well I think.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

@Joao-Patricio 

I'm a firm believer in Asus modem/routers but the DSL-AC88U probably isn't one I'd recommend. I don't think it's been very successful and lacks firmware support , the last being over 2 1/2 years ago.

As @licquorice says Zyxel do one - the Zyxel XMG3927-B50A - which might be worth a look.

Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Thank you so much for your suggestion, and thank you @TimCurtis for the heads up on that. I've been looking into that Zyxel router. I presume that there aren't any Wifi 6 capable routers that would work with G.Fast.

One thing I was wondering, do you know if it would be possible to set up a VPN with that Zyxel router? I want to be able to be at my workplace and be able to VPN into my home network and wake-on-lan my home computer. 

If you don't know, then that's fair enough, thought I'd ask.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

@Joao-Patricio 

The specs say Wake-up-on-Lan is supported & there are Zyxel apps available so I guess that'll work but nothing about VPN. That surprises me TBH but contact Zyxel support for confirmation one way or the other.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Would you actually need a VPN, just port-forward port 9 to the broadcast address 192.168.1.255 and any devices listening on the LAN should wake.

0 Ratings