cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dino74
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Connecting devices to infinity hub

Firstly excuse my ignorance, but I have just moved house and I am sure this is asked all the time!

Infinity has just been rolled out where I live.  If I sign up to it, it is not a problem to plug the new hub into the master socket, but the problem is the BT TV and my PC which is upstairs.

Both are so far away from where the hub will be a wired connection is impossible.  My question is will they both work wirelessly, or will Infinity not work at all?  Would I need anything else?  I just saw a BT broadband extender, would that help/make it possible.

Again sorry if this is always asked, and thank you in advance for the help!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Connecting devices to infinity hub

Have a look here http://connectedhome.bt.com/category/broadband-extenders/

I have the mini home hotspot 500 multi kit, work fine for me.

0 Ratings
dino74
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

It is so difficult to know what will work when you can't get a definitive answer from BT.  Just called themand they were trying to upgrade me to Infinity, but they would not confirm the TV would work without a wired connection.  A cable from the master socket is not an option as it will have to go around 3 doors and be about 25-30 metres long.

Surely this must be a really common issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Forget wireless, homeplugs are the simplest solution. If you don't want to buy BT ones there are plenty of others to choose from. They just use your mains wiring to carry the Ethernet signal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Unfortunately, nobody will confirm for definite that home plugs will work for you, as it depends on your mains wiring.  They do work for most people, but if the wiring in your home is awkward, they may not be fast enough for BT TV to work reliably.

That's why BT only say that you should use a wired connection.

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

BT tv is not wireless. you would either need a cable to connect it to the hub ( whish you say is not practical) or you would need to look at the homeplug solution.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings