Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RobShaw1
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Connecting external USB drive to Home Hub 5

Hi all

I have a Home Hub 5 and have bought a 1Tb USB drive to connect to it so I can share files around my home. It is a WD MyPassport.

I have been unable to get the HH to recognise it, and the hub home page says "File type not supported". I've tried formatting it as exFAT and FAT32 but it makes not difference. Can anyone advise please? I contacted BT on the online chat (log below) with no success at all.

Thanks

Rob

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Connecting external USB drive to Home Hub 5

You need to remove the transcript of your online chat.It is against forum rules. You can paraphrase if you want.

0 Ratings
RobShaw1
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Apologies and thanks for letting me know.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Have you tried plugging the drive into the Homehub and then restarting the hub to see if it then "finds" the drive.

0 Ratings
RobShaw1
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Yes, this was one of the first things I tried. It seems to 'find' the drive, but says that the file system isn't suported. It gives the same message when formatted as NTFS, exFAT or FAT32. 

One thing I wondered was whether there was an issue with partition size - I could try repartitioning to just 50Gb or something like that to test it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

If I remember correctly there is a limit of 32GB for FAT32 with a max file size of 4GB.

I have always found that the USB on the Homehub has at best been "flacky". If I were you I would consider getting a proper NAS drive and use that.

EDIT: Did a bit of checking and the limit on Fat32 is 8TB so you should be OK.

0 Ratings
neillyd
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

I too am in the midst of trying to connect a WD My Passport drive (2Tb) to our BT Business Hub 5, so two iMacs can see the drive over our wireless network. So far I've managed to reformat the drive to FAT32 and that makes it show up through the router when you browse for network devices - OK, it comes up as 'USB1' rather than the name I gave it when I reformatted it, but we can see it on both Macs, and copy to and from it , although it doesn't seem particularly fast.

What we would really like to do is maybe purchase a WD 4Tb NAS drive so we can use it as our shared file store, and be able to back up both Macs to it, probably connecting the drive to the Hub via ethernet, rather than USB.

My worry is that given some of the forum answers I've seen, the drive size will be too big for the router to 'see'.

Can anyone shed any light, or confirm one way or another? Is FAT32 the best format? The usual Mac formats don't seem to allow the drive to show up. Would a WD NAS device be able to stay Mac specific?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
RobShaw1
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

neillyd,

Could you tell me how you reformatted your drive to FAT32? I used some freeware I found online but I'm not sure whether it's done it properly.

Thanks
Rob
0 Ratings
neillyd
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Rob...

As I'm on a Mac, I just use 'Disk Utility' - software that has shipped with Macs for years - you open it, locate the connected drive and basically erase it, chosing the format before you click 'erase'. In the PC world, not sure!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

@RobShaw1 wrote:
neillyd,

Could you tell me how you reformatted your drive to FAT32? I used some freeware I found online but I'm not sure whether it's done it properly.

Thanks
Rob

If you are using Windows you do not need to use "freeware" to format a drive. In fact I would be suspicious of any "freeware" that was offering to do that for you.

In Windows you just connect the drive to your computer then go to the Start buton > Computer >and you will see the drive (probably named D or E) Right click on it and you will se the option "Format". It will bring up another window. Select the optons you want. A quick format should be sufficient.

0 Ratings