Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shirley55
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Connecting external hard drive to BT Smart Hub 6

Go to solution

Hi,

I connected an external hard drive to the USB port of the BT Smart Hub, mapped the drive to the network and all seemed well and I could see and get all my files on the external hard drive no problem.  However when I rebooted my computer the following error appeared: 

An error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\192.168.1.254\{External drive name}. Microsoft Windows Network: You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure.  This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.  Your system requires SMB2 or higher.  For more info on resolving this issue see:https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747.  This connection has not been restored.

As a temporary workaround I have turned the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature back on (specifically SMD 1.0/CIFS Client) and all seems to work again and I can access the external hard disc.  I do have a problem though in that he disc is not secure.  Can anyone give me step by step clear instructions on how to upgrade the SMB feature to SMB 2 please.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Connecting external hard drive to BT Smart Hub 6

Go to solution

You won't be able to, it will rely on an upgrade to the HH firmware which is totally under the control of BT.  As the disc is behind your firewall and only visible on the LAN, security shouldn't be a problem.

Shirley55
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Many Thanks, I had sort of drawn the same conclusion as I checked whether smb2 was enabled on my computer and it was (as was smb1).  So by a process of elimination it must come down to the firmware on the BT Hub. 

0 Ratings
JDub
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
What a pain! There was a hint somewhere that the file system made a difference. My HD is NTFS. Someone said FAT32 worked. Going backwards!
0 Ratings
JDub
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

They tell me they are working on a fix. Not holding my breath.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Working on a fix for what?

File system makes no difference, the hub is totally unaware of what file system is on the disc, its just a device on the LAN with a usb port. I can connect to NTFS and FAT32 formatted devices with no problem. Have you enabled SMB1?

JDub
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

BT say it is not possible at present on Hub 6. Escalating for a fix. I don't know what SMB1 is, but will have a look.

0 Ratings
JDub
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is already enabled. No help. Saw mention of SMD, but that isn't in the list. SMB Direct?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Is the hard drive powered or are you powering it from the USB port? If the latter, there may not be sufficient power to spin up the disk on the hub usb port. I can access thumsticks fine but my SH2 won't power my Toshiba HD. On the other hand @imjolly  of this parish has reported that his hub powers up his Toshiba HD!! Go figure.

Are you using 'Map Network drive' to map a drive letter  \\192.168.1.254\usb1

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@licquorice  It is WD portable hdd not a toshiba that I have connected to USB and working on my network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.