cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
escapologybb
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Connecting my Asus RT-AC66U running DD-WRT to the BT Home Hub 5 on BT Infinity?

Go to solution

Hello,

I've just had BT Infinity connected this morning with excellent speeds, woohooo!  However the HH5 is severely lacking in features compare to my Asus running DD-WRT, so I would like to use the HH5 as a modem and use my Asus for Wi-Fi  access for all of my devices.  I also use the  Asus as a VPN Gateway for all of the devices on my local network, that way it reply traffic is encrypted before it leaves the house and before it took ages whichever modem I'm using.

After doing quite a lot of reading on this forum I've tried simply connecting the Asus to the WAN Port on the HH5, then selecting PPPoE in the DD-WRT Configurations page and using the credentials: 

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: BT

So, can anybody help me get this setup?

Also, I am quadriplegic so that we can do this without a lot of switching of cables around that would be great!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Connecting my Asus RT-AC66U running DD-WRT to the BT Home Hub 5 on BT Infinity?

Go to solution

As far as I am aware from posts in this forum, it is not possible to use the HH5 just as a modem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Re: Connecting my Asus RT-AC66U running DD-WRT to the BT Home Hub 5 on BT Infinity?

Go to solution

You would be better getting an Openreach modem from an auction site and use that with your router.

0 Ratings
escapologybb
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

You would be better getting an Openreach modem from an auction site and use that with your router.

I wonder if you could suggest this specific modem I would need to Get?

I am quadriplegic as I said so I'm going to need to get somebody to do this for me, probably not buying of it but definitely the plugging in etc so I want to make sure I get the right thing.

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

If you do a search on the auction site for "Openreach Modem" it will bring up a selection for you. There are two makes but either one will do the jobe for you. I wouln't pay over £20 for one.

escapologybb
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Excellent, thank you very much for your help!

0 Ratings
evilgeenius
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi escapologybb,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but being a quadriplegic, how do you type?

0 Ratings
escapologybb
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@evilgeenius wrote:

Hi escapologybb,

I hope you don't mind me asking, but being a quadriplegic, how do you type?

I don't mind you asking at all, I use a piece of voice dictation software called DragonDictate for Mac which enables me to dictate into a microphone and have the text appear on screen.  It really is a lifesaver 🙂

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi there,

Just to expand slightly on gg's excellent advice, what you would need to do once you purchase the OpenReach modem, is connect a CAT5E (Ethernet) cable between the LAN1 port on the modem and the WAN port on your Asus.

When you have done this, you would need to open a browser window to your router and set your connection type to PPoE with the username of bthomehub@btinternet.com and the password can be anything you like, as long as you don't leave the field blank. I would also advise you to set the connection to "Always on", so that it doesn't disconnect after a certain period of inactivity on your LAN.

There is absolutely no need to use the Home Hub 5 from this point forward, using this configuration. 🙂

I've included a screenshot below, showing the web GUI settings of my Netgear R7000, which I'm sure is similar to your router. 🙂

R7000 config.jpg

I hope this info helps. 😄

escapologybb
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@Rottie wrote:

I hope this info helps. 😄

Hello Rottie, it really does help!

But just to be absolutely clear I'm going to set out the steps one by one because I'm not going to be the one doing the cable bashing, I'm going to have to contract in a Designated Pair of Hands™  and I can guarantee they will frustratingly be a technophobe of one sort or another.

1. Take OpenReach modem out of its box,
  2. Plug in the power cable,
  3. Connect the RJ45 cable from the wall socket to the OpenReach modem,
  4. Connect a length of Ethernet cable from the port LAN1 on the OpenReach modem, to the WAN Port on my wonderful Asus router,
  5. Switch both of them on,
  6. ???
  7. Step away from the scary boxes and leave the rest to Stuart!

At which point I connect to the DD-WRT admin interface on my Asus, then configure it to connect to the outside world using PPoE with the Username: bthomehub@btinternet.com and stick anything into the password field.  Am I right in thinking I don't need to connect any kind of admin interface on theOpenReach modem, everything is done through DD-WRT interface on the Asus router?

You know, this is one of the most frustrating things about being a quadriplegic geek; I'm a computer programmer and love technology of all sorts, but so often I reach a problem that just involves flicking a switch or switching cables in another room.

Worst.  Thing.  Ever.  About.  Being.  Quadriplegic.  For realz.  🙂

Thanks for all the help!

0 Ratings