cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rottie
Expert
Message 11 of 15

Re: Connecting my Asus RT-AC66U running DD-WRT to the BT Home Hub 5 on BT Infinity?

Go to solution

@escapologybb wrote:

@Rottie wrote:

I hope this info helps. 😄

Hello Rottie, it really does help!

But just to be absolutely clear I'm going to set out the steps one by one because I'm not going to be the one doing the cable bashing, I'm going to have to contract in a Designated Pair of Hands™  and I can guarantee they will frustratingly be a technophobe of one sort or another.

1. Take OpenReach modem out of its box,
  2. Plug in the power cable,
  3. Connect the RJ45 cable from the wall socket to the OpenReach modem,
  4. Connect a length of Ethernet cable from the port LAN1 on the OpenReach modem, to the WAN Port on my wonderful Asus router,
  5. Switch both of them on,
  6. ???
  7. Step away from the scary boxes and leave the rest to Stuart!

At which point I connect to the DD-WRT admin interface on my Asus, then configure it to connect to the outside world using PPoE with the Username: bthomehub@btinternet.com and stick anything into the password field.  Am I right in thinking I don't need to connect any kind of admin interface on theOpenReach modem, everything is done through DD-WRT interface on the Asus router?

You know, this is one of the most frustrating things about being a quadriplegic geek; I'm a computer programmer and love technology of all sorts, but so often I reach a problem that just involves flicking a switch or switching cables in another room.

Worst.  Thing.  Ever.  About.  Being.  Quadriplegic.  For realz.  🙂

Thanks for all the help!

Hi again,

Yep, that's the process in a nutshell. 🙂 The only other thing to watch for is that the OpenReach modem should be synched with the cabinet before you attempt to configure your router with the login details I previously mentioned, otherwise you'll be scratching your head (metaphorically speaking), wondering why you're getting authentication failures.

So, in short, just connect everything up as stated, but wait until you have a steady "DSL" light on the white OpenReach modem, then you'll be all set. 🙂

0 Ratings
escapologybb
Beginner
Message 12 of 15

Re: Connecting my Asus RT-AC66U running DD-WRT to the BT Home Hub 5 on BT Infinity?

Go to solution

Rottie, you're a genius and should win all sorts of awards and accolades!  The modem arrived, I had my Designated Pair of Hands™ plug everything in, waited for the steady green light and BOOM no more crappy BT home Hub.

Only thing left to do now is say thanks to you, and have a cleansing fire where we burn all of the crappy and quite frankly hateful modems we've had over the past couple of years.  Thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

@escapologybb wrote:

Rottie, you're a genius and should win all sorts of awards and accolades!  The modem arrived, I had my Designated Pair of Hands™ plug everything in, waited for the steady green light and BOOM no more crappy BT home Hub.

Only thing left to do now is say thanks to you, and have a cleansing fire where we burn all of the crappy and quite frankly hateful modems we've had over the past couple of years.  Thank you 🙂

Glad you got it sorted. 🙂 Happy to be of help. 🙂

0 Ratings
Right1
Beginner
Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

You can connect to hub without having a BT Modem. Check DDwrt v3 Disabled mode. Use DDwrt DHCP or fix ip's.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

You are posting on a two year old thread and the OP has not been on the forum since the so you may not get a reply from the OP but your answer may be of interest to others.

0 Ratings