cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Connecting to BT using old DrayTek Vigor130 modem. Is it possible?

My router needs to be replaced or fixed. While this is happening I'd like to use an old DrayTek Vigor 130 modem to connect to BT and use an ethernet connection from the modem to my laptop (running windows 10) to connect. Is this possible? The modem currently seems to connect to BT broadband OK, the indicator lights look correct & the ACT light blinks regularly, which is correct. However when I connect the modem to my laptop with a good ethernet cable Windows 10 sees it as "unidentified network" & if I open a browser (I have a choice of Chrome, Brave & MS Edge) then I cannot get to any web sites. Does anyone remember how to configure Win10 64bit to use this "unidentified network" so I can connect while I get my router fixed. Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Connecting to BT using old DrayTek Vigor130 modem. Is it possible?

Google "Windows PPoE".

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks. Are you suggesting steps as described here?

https://appuals.com/fix-ethernet-unidentified-network-on-windows-10/

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

No.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

In windows open the network centre and choose set up new connection. Select ppoe as the type and use bthomehub@btbroadband. Com with bt as the password.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@stevebrass  Thanks. I never actually had a BT HomeHub. I used my own router (which may now have a hardware fault).  Does this make a difference to the username "bthomehub@btbroadband.com"?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

No

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for all the assistance. I'll try some of this and report back.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

In windows open the network centre and choose set up new connection. Select ppoe as the type and use bthomehub@btbroadband. Com with bt as the password.

This worked. Thanks. I used my BT email address as the username and BT as the password. It left the the "Unidentified Network" (which appeared when I first plugged in the ethernet from the Vigor) as it was & created a new connection that I then called "Vigor Broadband Connection". It's using an old dial-up symbol as shown in attached image, but that's OK. The router I was using was a Linksys WRT 1900 ACS (version1) which I think came out in 2015. It seems that the radio transmitter/receiver chip may have burned out as I cannot revive any kind of 5GHz or 2.4 GHz wifi signal no matter what. Is there a current powerful Linksys model that  anyone would recommend?

vigor symbols.jpg

0 Ratings