cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Connecting to Infinity 1 fttp with Asus DSL AC68U

Just got Infinity 1 fttp service and it works great using the BT HH6. However the HH6 is a bit limited in terms of functionality so I want to connect my Asus AC68U which is supposed to support a WAN connection via any of the 4 Ethernet ports. I have configured the AC68U according to Asus manual and support. My WAN port is Ethernet LAN1 and the Internet connection method is set to PPPoE. Other settings are as recommended by Asus and also other Forum threads I have seen but I can't get it to connect. Has anybody managed to get this router to connect to BT Infinity 1 fttp ? If so can you help ? 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Connecting to Infinity 1 fttp with Asus DSL AC68U

Welcome to this user forum.

The HH6 cannot be used just as a modem, to pass your public IP address to a router. The WAN port on the Asus expects to see a routable Internet IP address, not a private LAN address as presented on the Ethernet ports of the home hub.

You would have to use an Openreach VDSL modem, or anothe VDSL modem in front of the Asus.

Probable less hassle to just buy a 3rd part VDSL modem/router like the TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 for about £35 or the TP-Link TDW9980 for about £60.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

The op has fttp so will have an ont. Have you entered the username as home hub@btbroadband.com and password bt on the Asus?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

@licquorice wrote:
The op has fttp so will have an ont. Have you entered the username as home hub@btbroadband.com and password bt on the Asus?

Of course, just noticed, then that would present no problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I want to replace the HH6 with the Asus DSL-AC68U which will then connect directly to the Openreach ONT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

I entered bthomehub@btbroadband.com as username and bt as PW. I understood that the precise username doesn't matter as long as it ends in @btbroadband.com and also BT don't require a PW (but the router insists something is enetred). I will try your suggested username and see if it makes a difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Yes, anything@btbroadband.com is acceptable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

I'm not familiar with the Asus, but other settings to check are pppoe and vlan ID 101
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

PPPoE is enabled. I did try VLAN 101 and it didn't seem to work but I read that VLAN is not really relevant for single user configuration?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

Is there the possibility that BT tie my connection to the MAC address of the HH6 they provided ? Asus support mentions that some ISP's do this and they provide a facility to clone the MAC address ie enter the HH6 MAC address manually and the Asus will provide this MAC address at sign on stage. At least that's how I assume it works...I haven't tried this yet. Would be interested in any views.

0 Ratings