cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rabee
Message 1 of 7

Connecting two routers for BT infinity

Hi all, i would like to connect two routers in the house for better wifi coverage and allows me to have wired connection in my room.

My question is can I connect hh5 to netgear d7000 or via versa?

The setup will like like this :

Vdsl faceplate>rj11 to first router> long rj45 30 meters Ethernet cable to second router.

Thanks
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting two routers for BT infinity

Shouldn't be a problem doing that. Works best if the second router can be set as an access point. I've in the past done just that with an old Netgear DGN2000 and a Billion 7800.

0 Ratings
rabee
Message 3 of 7

I think netgear allows you to do that but not the home hub. So do I just connect them using the standard yellow Ethernet ports or the red Internet port, I'm confused as what this does.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

ethernet ports

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DevilsAdvocate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Whatever you do, make sure that DHCP is enabled on only one of the routers, otherwise it'll bring the network to its knees. Apart from that there should be no [problems, I run a second router as an access point myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Microsoft MVP since 2004
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Best to give the second router a static address outside of the dhcp range of the first
0 Ratings
Bill-lord
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Yes I do that here. Go into the net gear settings, change its address 192.168.0.1 works well for me. Then find the DHCP settings and change that so that it is off ( ie the router does not provide DHCP setting ). Do not forget to apply each of these changes when you complete the step. Plug the router into the network and then restart it.  It should now work. 

You can leave the wifi setting as it is or you can change them so that they match the settings on the HH5 it depends,DNS upon what you want it works just as well either way. 

I do not use a long network cable, I use a pair of home plug power line adapters, much neater and works a treat. 

0 Ratings