cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Connection Dropping & Resolving Host

Go to solution

Hi All, I've read a few threads on similar topics, but not managed to resolve my issue.

After dealing with telephone support in the past, I get the feeling you kind people may be able to offer more useful support if you have any tips.

Our problem is our connection keeps dropping, or 'hanging'. I'm connecting through wireless on a laptop, using Google Chrome. Every so often, the connection hangs. In the bottom of Chrome it displays either a 'resolving host' or 'connecting...' message.

The last time it happened today, the wireless icon had a yellow icon over it indicating there was a problem with the connection.

I use the internet pretty much all day for work, so it's very noticeable. I had this same issue last summer for a time, then it became less of an issue - the occasional issue, but generally okay. Since Christmas it's started up again - constantly dropping off.

The issue happens in both Chrome and Firefox, so nothing to do with the browser or extensions. I'm using Avast, but I trialled keeping that off, and the issue still occurred.

Here's the situation and what I've tried:

• We have a HomeHub5 Type B, fibre to the premises.
  • The wireless range is fine.
  • I've tried restarting the Hub.
  • Parental controls are off.
  • Smart start-up is off.
  • The channel selection is set to 'auto' so it finds the best frequency itself.
  • I also ensured the 5GHz wasn't in sync with the 2.4GHz as I'd read on the forum here that it can cause problems?
  • I've also changed the DNS on my wireless card to use Open DNS too.

The problem still persists.

In the homehub logs (Troubleshooting > Event Logs) I can see a lot of 'Device Disconnected' and 'Device Connected' messages.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Happy to run any tests I need to, and any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connection Dropping & Resolving Host

Go to solution

I would try selecting the channel manually, channel13 is often a good channel to select. If you download InSSIDer to your laptop you will be able to see what other signals may be interfering and choose a bettr channel.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion licquorice, I'll download InSSIDer and give it a go

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I've downloaded and installed InSSIDer, and it doesn't look like anyone else is using channel 1 (which we were on), but I've changed it to channel 13 anyhow to see if it helps.

Time will tell I guess, and I'll report back if the problem re-occurs. 

Thanks again for your time liquorice 

0 Ratings