cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamIrvine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Connection issues: Lag Spikes in games, variable pings and issues with Wifi Calling. 9% packet loss

Go to solution

Hi to all,

Looking for some information and help.

I'm having the issues above for the last 2 weeks - 2-3 second delays in games that the family play, variable responses on other devices and issues with Wifi Calling.

The gaming is primarily World of Warcraft and was absolutely fine previously - the connections are all wired and the whole network we've reset a few times, including trying with just one PC connected over the weeks to make sure there's nothing else interfering, I've also tried using different ports to the router. The same PC at a friends house performs fine.

We've tried the online troubleshooter with BT but everything reports fine and it moves to trying to sell us a wifi extender for our wired issues (clearly not necessary)

BT Wholesale test:

BT Wholesale Test.png

BT Home Hub Stats:

BT Home Hub Stats.png

I've run a quiet line test and all seems ok.

Using the speedtest app shows the following including quite some packet loss:

BT Speedtest Results.png

I haven't called the helpline yet as last time I had some issues (back with ADSL) they blamed the homehub and tried to charge me for a new one despite not using a home hub.

Any ideas to try?

Before I call the helpline - what other information do I need to arm myself with to provide them with?

Adam.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
AdamIrvine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Connection issues: Lag Spikes in games, variable pings and issues with Wifi Calling. 9% packet l

Go to solution

Forgot to mention - our connection drops for 5 mins or so at least 2-3 times a week with the hub cycling orange, red broadband light then eventually reconnecting. This happens at random times and can also repeat several times in a short period

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Re: Connection issues: Lag Spikes in games, variable pings and issues with Wifi Calling. 9% packet l

Go to solution

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your stability

you say all connected by ethernet is that direct to hub or using powerline adapters?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AdamIrvine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I've not tried the test socket no - I'll do that and report back later. The issues weren't prevalent 2 weeks ago on the same connection and that's not changed.

Normal config is hub -> switch -> PC but I've tried with a direct connection to the hub also and no difference (tried multiple hub ports).

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Once you've tried the above and if that doesn't fix the issue could you ping google or something

(ping -4 google.co.uk -t)

to see if there are any spikes when pinging.

Could you also post a trace route to any website so I can see what hops you're going through and potential correlation with my issue. Here (https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Latency-Variation-Ping-Spikes-during-online-gam...)

tracert -4 google.co.uk

You could alternatively use PingPlotter to see the possible jitter and the amount that's happening at each node.

0 Ratings
AdamIrvine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

There was no difference going into the test port.

For ping - 4 google.co.uk -t:

Ping statistics for 172.217.169.67:
Packets: Sent = 180, Received = 173, Lost = 7 (3% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 1000ms, Average = 18ms

tracert -4 google.co.uk:

Tracing route to google.co.uk [172.217.169.35]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 13 ms 15 ms 13 ms 31.55.186.180
5 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms host213-121-192-52.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.192.52]
6 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms peer2-et-7-0-0.slough.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.112]
7 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 109.159.253.69
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 172.253.50.222
10 14 ms 13 ms 14 ms 172.253.66.87
11 14 ms 14 ms 1420 ms lhr48s08-in-f3.1e100.net [172.217.169.35]

Trace complete.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Can you get PingPlotter and post a screenshot of a 10min ping to the same IP?

Not seeing anything really except the 1000ms on the google hop.

0 Ratings
AdamIrvine
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

No idea what this shows me but here goes 🙂

BT PingPlotter.png

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Same issue, insane late spikes when I launch any game for the last 2 weeks. I've honestly had enough they either need to come out and say there are issues with the network or I'm switching to another ISP because I can't keep going like this where I can't play when a simple 480p video is playing simultationally.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

It's as i expected really.

This is either an exchange issue or the issue is within hop 3 or 4 (31.55.186.XXX).

That 3rd hop sometimes responds to ICMP requests or it doesn't, in your case it didn't respond at all. We can't see the first hop because it's configured not to respond to ICMP Ping requests which is fair enough.

I also get high ping and or packet loss on those two nodes (3 & 4) but in your case it doesn't seem like you get very high ping but you do get a huge amount of packet loss.

I would be curious, if you wouldn't mind, put on a twitch stream www.twitch.tv pick any stream and re-do the ping plotter. I'm curious to see what your ping variance is when you're watching a  live stream. 

0 Ratings