cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ash129
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Connection problems - Are BT Worse Than talktalk?

Please help. Prove I have not made a mistake in switching from talktalk to BT!

Been with BT for about 3 weeks now and due to connection problems I am regretting the move to a company that SHOULD be better than its rivals.

Problems:-

1) Laptop cannot even find the wi-fi signal from my "Smart" router showing no networks found or no network available. Wired via TP Link the speed is great but even wired the connection is often lost.

2) Wi-fi analyser on my phone shows stars according to signal strength. Channel 1 that I am currently on has 0 stars, 6 has 0 stars and 11 has 2 stars. These are my only channel options and all are bad. My talktalk router had me on channels 1 or 6 with 8 or 9 stars! On the BT router only channels 12, 13 and 14 have any decent strength with 4 - 7 stars and I can't choose those.

3) My daughters i phone regularly loses the wi -fi signal and we have to Forget Network and re-enter password for it to come back again.

Is there a fault with my Smart router?

Should I try using my talktalk router to see if any better?

Don't get me wrong I have had my problems with talktalk but they have always fixed them (apart from my details being hacked -total incompetence there ).

Please advise ASAP ( in laymans terms if possible) and prove I made the right move by switching to BT.

Yours Hopefully,

Ash129

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Connection problems - Are BT Worse Than talktalk?

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @Ash129

Are Ethernet connected devices working properly?

Does the light onthe home hub change colour when you get the disconnections?

The home hub 6 is restricted to three wireless channels, which causes lots of problems. Nobody knows why this was done, but its one of the many issues with the HH6.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 12

The Smart Hub, search through the forum, has some issues.  Some users report poor wi-fi range and stability.  Not sure about the Talk Talk router, you could try looking at the Internet settings and using the BT details.

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

bt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

talk talk router is locked to their network
0 Ratings
Ash129
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your post.

Ethernet connection does work but obviously when the router loses connection ( lights do change colour) the connection is lost.

Laptop is only device we connect by wire but it cannot find wi fi signal or loses it after several minutes.

0 Ratings
Ash129
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for your post John. So obviously the routers could not be switched
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

correct no they cannot
0 Ratings
Ash129
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

BT worse than talktalk? Part 2 - Connection repeatedly lost

Dear Community,

My first posted message was unsuccessful. In fact only 2 people tried to help ( my thanks to them ) and no help from any experts out there - at least talktalks experts answered after a couple of days wait.

Anyway my connection is still repeatedly dropping, channels 1,6 and 11 are all rubbish and my laptop cant even find any networks to connect to. In short my broadband is a hell of a lot worse with bt than talktalk.

Please, please can someone help. I have just switched to bt so have 11 months contract left to run.

CAN SOMEONE DO SOMETHING PLEASE - THE CONNECTION HAS DROPPED 7 TIMES WHILE I WRITE THIS POST

MAKE THAT 8

Ash129

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Re: BT worse than talktalk? Part 2 - Connection repeatedly lost

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
0 Ratings
Ash129
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Re: BT worse than talktalk? Part 2 - Connection repeatedly lost

Thanks for that John.
0 Ratings