Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Connectivity Issues in Garage

Hello, 

Wondering if anyone has any advice regarding Wi-Fi coverage in a large home;

Annoyingly I bought the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi mesh system from Amazon thinking I could get coverage in the house but didn't realise we don't have the latest BT Home Hub. After about an hour of trying to figure out why the disc signal was so poor I read somewhere they're just compatible with the Hub 2.. I've checked online and tried to get through to BT and it seems the new Hub isn't available for our area (North Norfolk) so now stuck with the discs which are unusable. 

Basically, I need to guarantee a stable connection in my garage which is a fair way the original Hub as well as connecting up a printer. I thought by using the Mesh system I could directly the Ethernet to the laptop/printer and would have a strong connection.

Does anyone have any ideas to sort this out? Ideally, I don't want to be running a 50m Ethernet cable to the garage.

Thanks, 

Ethan 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Connectivity Issues in Garage

@Ethan 

Annoyingly I bought the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi mesh system from Amazon thinking I could get coverage in the house but didn't realise we don't have the latest BT Home Hub.

Have you requested a refund?

Basically, I need to guarantee a stable connection in my garage which is a fair way the original Hub as well as connecting up a printer. I thought by using the Mesh system I could directly the Ethernet to the laptop/printer and would have a strong connection.

Is the Garage on the same electric circuit as the house?  Have you tried Homeplugs?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

its the complete wifi system that requires the use of SH2 and whole home wifi should work with any router

I doubt you will get the wifi to work if garage if 50m from router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 12

Hi,
Yes I'll be sending them back at some point this week.
Yes I believe it's on the same circuit, but as the house is fairly large loads of electrical connections in between I didn't think that would be suitable. Do you think that would work then?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

Hi,
Strange, once I had connected disc to router the download/upload speed dropped significantly.

The garage isn't 50m from the router but to run a cable it would be at least that length due to walls/outbuildings etc.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

is the garage of the same consumer unit as your home - usually garage would be on a separate supply so powerline would not work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@imjolly wrote:

is the garage of the same consumer unit as your home - usually garage would be on a separate supply so powerline would not work

It would still come from the same main feed to the house. Its quite normal and part of the regulations, to have a small separate consumer box to feed the garage, so it can be isolated. This does not normally upset powerline type devices as its fed from the main incoming feed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 12

Hi,
Yes it comes from the same line but there are two separate boxes, one in the house and one in the garage. Box supply in house is on the old 60's regulations and hasn't been updated recently but is the next job. Garage supply box was recently updated in line with new regs
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@Ethan wrote:
Hi,
Yes it comes from the same line but there are two separate boxes, one in the house and one in the garage. Box supply in house is on the old 60's regulations and hasn't been updated recently but is the next job. Garage supply box was recently updated in line with new regs

Well the BT Hotpot 600 units work in my daughter`s house which was built in the 1930s, and has multiple distribution boxes. Part of the house has been rewired to accommodate electric cooker. There is one master unit and four slave units, one in each room.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@Ethan wrote:
Hi,
Strange, once I had connected disc to router the download/upload speed dropped significantly.

The garage isn't 50m from the router but to run a cable it would be at least that length due to walls/outbuildings etc.

You can run up to 100M of Ethernet cable, so that would be an option if all else fails.

0 Ratings