Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Richrit91
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Connectivity drops

Hi, about 18 months ago we had issues with out connectivity.... a BT engineer came out and ended up creating a new master socket and moving the hub.... now where I use the Internet is at the other end of the house.... he said that it would not effect connectivity and I won't have issues with connecting anything. How wrong was he? Had nothing but issues ever since.

The other day I ended up buying the BT white powerline essentials 500. Plugged it into the router and put the second one in my room... but the signal continues to drop out.... I get through half an hour streaming on Netflix and just drops out... including on my phone or laptop.

Any solutions?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connectivity drops

What are you streaming Netflix on?

If it is a laptop or PC, can you put it next to the router and see if you get the same problem?

0 Ratings
Richrit91
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Streaming off my TV.... which is connected to the extender....
I don't get signal direct to the router from here.

But if I go to the router and connect my phone it works
0 Ratings
Scarlet21
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

Not sure if this will help but the BT 600 (similar) was a problem for me. I assumed that if all the lights were on it would be connected properly but this was not so.

When you set up the broadband extender did you plug them in close together and link them? If not your extension could have set up it's own hot spot and you need to use it's password to attach to it. A LAN will function fine through it but wireless will be a problem. If you linked them together then the extender should be just a replica of your hub. You should see it listed in available networks on your phone as BT Homespot but shouldn't need to connect to it with a different password/key. 

It also depends on the age of your house wiring whether these work successfully. If you are in an older property and you have separate power ring mains, this extender will probably not work.

All this was in the small print at the bottom of the instructions in the box and I hadn't noticed it until a friend who had the same problem told me what to do. Now they are all working properly, connectivity is brilliant. If only I had consistent internet provision to my hub I would be in Utopia!!

0 Ratings
Richrit91
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Hey, I gave this a go... but unfortunately this hasn't worked at all.
I've tried different sockets but yet signal continues to drop out. Starting to get frustrated
0 Ratings
Richrit91
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Just been speaking to bt... they say they are not designed to work more than 10meters away from the hub. Surely these are not fit for purpose then if that's the case?
Even next to the hub the adapter is transmitting no more than 2mbps . The hub itself is nearly 40.
Think I'm being fobbed off
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

I think the helpdesk is getting confused between a wireless repeater, and a wireless access point (hotspot) provided by the BT white powerline essentials 500.

Do you have any other powerline type device connected to the home hub?

0 Ratings
Richrit91
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

There is only one other connected
0 Ratings
Richrit91
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The signal is actually better with them both connected than when there is only the one
0 Ratings