Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 12

Re: Considering Superfast but I want to use my own router

Go to solution

@wisty wrote:

The BT Smart Hub does let you allocate specific IP addresses to devices on the network either statically or via the DHCP.

A router can only allocate addresses via DHCP, a static address can only be entered on the device itself. Address reservation is NOT static addressing.

0 Ratings
wisty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 12

Re: Considering Superfast but I want to use my own router

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@wistywrote:

The BT Smart Hub does let you allocate specific IP addresses to devices on the network either statically or via the DHCP.

A router can only allocate addresses via DHCP, a static address can only be entered on the device itself. Address reservation is NOT static addressing.

I didn't say it was.

All I said was that the Hub lets YOU allocate static IP addresses to devices on the network. I didn't say that you used the Hub itself to so do. 

I agree address reservation is not the same thing as static addressing - but it does perform the same function on a network (i.e. a specific device will always have the same IP address).

There are routers around (the Smart Hub is not one of them) that refuse to acknowledge the existence of devices to which they did not assign the address via DHCP. Such routers will (effectively) not allow YOU to assign static addresses

0 Ratings