cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Considering joining BT - Need to understand Device IP Addresses

A friend suggested BT broadband as I need my multiple Devices all to have different IP addresses. Apparently this is done done by BT as each device will/may use different routers in my neighbourhood as hotspots rather than my home router.

Essentially I need to understand a) is this the case? and b) does this change between Full Fibre 1 (using traditional copper wiring and a street cabinet) and Full Fibre 100 (Fibre direct into home)?

In a nutshell I don not want my devises sharing the same public IP address 

Thank you in anticipation

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Considering joining BT - Need to understand Device IP Addresses

Residential BT broadband uses one dynamic public IP address. If you want multiple static public IP addresses you need a business connection.

Are you sure you mean you want multiple public IP addresses rather than private addresses?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

IPv6 will give each of your devices a unique address and BT does implement this.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the replies guys. Essentially If 3 devices are connecting to a website then I don't want the website knowing they all come from the same place/house/router...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

humm

Standard BT broadband using IPv4 will not do this for you. From your home router they will all have the same external IP address.
If you connect your devices to different wifi hotspots around your neighbourhood, then they should get different external IP addresses.
I think IPv6 SLAAC assignment, while giving all a unique external IP address, groups them in such a way, they can be identified as coming from the same group and thus router.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Actually meant prefix delegation.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Bananabutty wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys. Essentially If 3 devices are connecting to a website then I don't want the website knowing they all come from the same place/house/router...

Why do you require that?

Message 8 of 8

A VPN could achieve that, but you may have to pay an annual subscription.

0 Ratings