cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Consistently poor wifi strength

Hi guys, hoping for some help as I am struggling to find a solution to my problem.

I had fiber 100 installed in February and have since had worst wifi reception to all the devices in house than I did with my previous infinity package. I had higher download speeds with my old smart hub 1 and have had a new hub 2 sent out but did not fix the problem. 

The hub is getting speeds of 145mbps but all wireless devices don't receive any more than 60mbps all through the day, regardless of the amount of traffic through the router.

With two gaming Pc's in the house, it has become a real issue with lag, bufferbloating and generally slow speeds. I'm paying for something that the hub is not producing.

If any has had this issue resolved, please help. Thank you.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Consistently poor wifi strength

@Benji_hyett88 

You really need to use a direct Ethernet connection to avoid issues with wireless, as wireless speed will depend on the number of devices connected on that wireless channel. That would also include any other nearby wireless routers using the same wireless channel, as only one device can use the channel at a time.

Its also worth making sure that smart setup is turned off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

I switched smart set-up off in February as I read it caused some issues with the speed but it didn't make a difference.

But why was my old smart hub capable of giving out 70-85mbps too most devices wirelessly and now its been 'upgraded' to the smart hub 2, it can't cope with more than one device connected? 

I had a few engineer visits, and one arrived with a manager and he told me that the hub was getting the right speeds but not pushing it out to the devices, so got a new one ordered for me but the new was the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Unfortunately the smart hub 2 uses the same SSID on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands. and this cannot be changed.

This causes a lot of issues with dual band wireless devices, as they keep trying to switch between bands.

You can in fact turn off either the 2.4GHz wireless band from within the home hub, but that may give issues with other devices that can only connect at 2.4GHz.

Do you have a direct optical fibre coming into the house, or is it just an ultrafast copper connection (G.Fast)?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

I have tried turning each band off to see if it could cope with everything on one but it made it worst as it was so congested. 

You used to be able to have a separate connection for 5ghz on the old hub but this one doesn't have that function.

I have g.fast so it to a box in the street, had issues last year where they cut through my cable under the path outside my house and we lost everything for a few weeks. But to get the speeds I am to the hub that's not the issue. It seems the hub 2 is an downgrade to the 1st.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

As you are on G.Fast, then you have no alternative but to use the smart hub 2.

It may be worth considering running an Ethernet cable to each gaming PC, or even trying some fast powerline adapters to connect them, although they may not work any better, and can be expensive.

To be honest, 60Mbs speed to each computer should be much more than you will ever need, but because they are sharing the same wireless connection, they are going to be competing for a connection, which is going to result in latency and buffering.

Really the only solution is Ethernet cabling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

No, the Asus DSL AC88U is G.fast capable.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Agreed, but that means spending a lot of money, and there is no guarantee the wireless would be any faster. Ethernet cabling is cheap, but does need a bit of extra work to run the cables.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Agreed, but that means spending a lot of money, and there is no guarantee the wireless would be any faster. Ethernet cabling is cheap, but does need a bit of extra work to run the cables.

Totally agree but your statement said there was no alternative, there is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 13

I've noticed that both Pc's are running on 2.5ghz, would they benefit from trying to get them on 5ghz?

The hub is in the front room directly underneath both bedrooms.

Or is it worth investing in a router from Netgear or tp-link?

0 Ratings