Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Constant Latency Spikes

Hello,

I seem to be suffering from constant latency spikes. I've tested multiple pings to 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 and every few pings the latency jumps right up to 300+ ms.

This has made it impossible to have any Voip calls when i'm working from home, i also consistently lose connection to my vpn to work.

Also gaming/streaming is pretty bad at the moment with everything only being able to buffer at 240p if even that.

Not really sure if there are any issues with the line? I've tried restarting the router, the landline is also working. All devices in the house have the same issue whether they are connected via 2.4 ghz or 5ghz. 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
hurleh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Constant Latency Spikes

Happening to everyone mate look at the forums right now, me being one of them, BT are are apparently aware of the issue now and are trying to fix it. Hopefully soon 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/customers-of-uk-isp-bt-see-multiplayer-lag-spikes-duri...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Hi @Gallain  welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. Sorry that you are having a problem with latency spikes. Please would you confirm what broadband product you have ie FTTC or FTTP and confirm that it is a residential package. Post back and let me and we may be able to help you further with this.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Hi John, it's an FTTC residential package. 

0 Ratings
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

This sounds like it could be difficult to fix then. However it isn't just gaming that i'm having issues with. I was the only person using the internet during the day yesterday and i couldn't have a voip call. Usually voip traffic should be prioritised on a network so i don't know if it's just queuing up in their core before getting out to the internet. 

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 6 of 17

Need to figure out if any other external issues could be causing the problem first. 

Hopefully John will be able to do some tests on the line and it's as simple as a noisy line.

You can test your line on 17070 and selecting option 2 for the Quiet Line, use this to if anything rule out the easy stuff.

You can also test the issue on both Wired and Wireless connections. (Test more than one device)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Hi @Gallain  thanks for confirming those details for me. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you further. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

I've done a line test now. It seems fine, no noise on the phone line. But i'm still getting latency spikes

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Provided a screenshot of the pingplotter results when the latency spike hits. To be fair it seemed slightly better this evening.

ping to 8.8.8.8.JPG

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 10 of 17

current ping to router is 162, suggests thew issue is probably within the local network.

0 Ratings