cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Constant Latency Spikes

It's possible it's a wireless issue. I'll have to cable directly up to my router and check that off. I know it's not an issue with my wireless adaptor as it's all devices that seem to have the issue.

Because i've got 162 on my own gateway does that in cause mean the latency increments on the other hops?

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 12 of 17

Yeah latency from a previous hop is likley to carry over to the next hop, but as it's pretty high on your local network it's hard to determin if that latancy is being carried over. Trying a wired ping will give a better indication.

0 Ratings
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Okay so i'm thinking there may be an issue with the wireless. I managed to get an ethernet cable and all seemed well (sadly this is not a permanent solution for the household). 

I was pinging the default gateway of 192.168.1.254 and i was getting latency spikes. To rule out a dodgy wireless card i also tried from my work laptop and i was getting pings occasionally of 700ms etc.

Wireless setting wise the router is set to the smart channel setting and both of these devices are connected on the 2.4ghz network.  

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 14 of 17

It's highly possible yeah, I live in a house with red brick walls and the WiFi here is absolutly terrible.

I bought a Tenda WiFi Mesh Solution from Amazon as a permenant fix, it's helped alot.

0 Ratings
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 17

The thing is i have full signal, i'm not too far from the router and there is no thick wall in between. I'll investigate further and see if i can come up with some more conclusive results before investing in that amazon solution

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 16 of 17

Any number of things could cause WiFi issues, and still allow you to have full signal. Electrical Interferance or other signals close by.

0 Ratings
Gallain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

That's true but it was working fine before and no new electrical devices have been added to my knowledge within my household. It seems to be working fine now although my parents are on holiday. It'll be interesting to see when they are back.

0 Ratings