Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Constant packet loss, Help.

Hello, 

I am having constant packet loss on the 3rd knot and possibly 2nd knot, I am using a packet ping program that shows packet loss, in the diagnostic the IP for the second know is non existent for some reason. While in games my game freezes for several seconds up to 1 minute and sometimes end up disconnecting, latency goes up over 1000. Packet loss displayed in the program for 2nd knot which is always the same is 100 and for 3rd knot it fluctuates around 60 90. I have tried reaching out to BT but all efforts so far were in vain, I even changed the hub with a third party router, still no fix. I'm thinking there's something wrong with the server box or I don't know, does anyone have an idea what can cause this packet loss? Thank you.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Constant packet loss, Help.

It is quite normal for 100% packet loss on certain hops on the route to the destination as those routers will be configured not to respond to ICMP (ping) requests. A router may also show packet loss if it is concentrating on its' main job and forwarding packets, ICMP requests are always treated as low priority and may time out at busy periods.

If all the packets arrive at the destination then it's impossible for any packet loss to have happened. Lose a packet, it can't get there.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Thank you for the reply but that doesn t realy help me, let s say you re right about the 100 packet loss thay s always the same on know 2 but other fluctuating one is real from know 3 and I m having the game freezeing and disconects all the time not just busy hours. It s not normal at all.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 22

Is there any packet loss at the destination server?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

No, only at first 2 knots which belong to either the router or something else between router and server box and router is fine I tryed 3 different ones, I m having and engineer coming by tomorrow, see what he sais about this.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 22

If there is no packet loss at the destination sever then you have no packet loss.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

My friend, you are not helping at all, I have packet loss I use a program that does exactly that and I dont even need the program or anyone to comfirm it, the freezes abd disconects I get is proof enaugh, bow if you don t have a solution for me I sugest you do something else.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

If the destination is receiving 100% of packets sent, how can there be any packet loss? Your program tells you that some intermediate nodes are ignoring ICMP requests because they have better things to do. If the destination was only receiving some packets then the trace might help identify where they are being lost, but not if the destination is receiving 100%

Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 22

@Alexandor wrote:
My friend, you are not helping at all, I have packet loss I use a program that does exactly that and I dont even need the program or anyone to comfirm it, the freezes abd disconects I get is proof enaugh, bow if you don t have a solution for me I sugest you do something else.

You use a program you do not understand how to interpret. I was trying to assist you with that.

As regards your gaming problem I would be more concerned about the latency and where that is occuring.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 22

There is nothing to interpret, program is clear, my latency is fine until the packet loss happens which clearely indicates it s a packet loss that causes a normal latency of 15 to jump at 1k and then go back to normal. I just don t know where the problem lies. I have the ip but I don t know who that ip belongs to, BT should know that.
0 Ratings