cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Converting phone socket to ethernet

Hi Everyone,

I moved into a new place recently and the wifi is not as reliable as much as I need it, so I would like to plug an ethernet cable to my pc. 

The thing is, my room is equipped with one phone socket.

My question is, how can I convert it to an ethernet socket?

Should I just buy an ethernet faceplate and change it? If yes, what kind of cable should I plug in from the router to the master phone socket? Do I need Microfilter for this at the master socket?

Any tips are appreciated

Thanks

Screenshot_20221110-083147 (1).jpg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Converting phone socket to ethernet

@paller 

Is this a new build property with an Openreach direct fibre connection which your BT Home Hub is directly connected to?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

You can't just convert a single phone socket to Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The property was built like 2-3 years ago, this is why I thought it's possible to do something like this

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@paller 

If you are just plugging your BT Home Hub into the master phone socket, then why not plug it into the phone extension socket nearer to the computer, then connect it direct using a Ethernet cable?

If you have a filtered master socket, then you may have to reconnect the extension wiring to the data extension terminals.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Assuming you have a socket downstairs and one upstairs (A to B) and you have 4 twisted pairs to work with, you should be able to swap the phone faceplates with some Cat5/6 ones. I don't see the brown solid/brown stripe pair in that picture, but as long as you have another pair to work with, and it's wired to a T568B equivalent, it should be OK.

Obviously, the existing cable isn't the same as network cable and will have a different amount of twists and could be more susceptible to interference if it's a long cable run, but I say give it a try.

Alternatively, if that existing cable isn't secured, you can use it as a drawstring to pull in some CAT5e/6 cable?

0 Ratings