cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Corner of one room has no wifi connection....Advice needed.

Go to solution

Firstly let me start by saying please could all answers be kept simple as technology wise I struggle 🙄.

Since my daughter moved her room around and positioned her bed in a corner her wi-fi connection has disappeared, in-fact it is the only dead corner in the whole house.  I have been sent BT mini connectors as a possible solution, but wondered if it would be easier to put my old Home Hub 6 in her room as a repeater (Is that the term?).

Any help would be welcomed as maybe then she'll stop whining.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Corner of one room has no wifi connection....Advice needed.

Go to solution

The mini connectors should work just fine. You can't use the old Hub 6 as a wifi repeater, it would need to be connected to the main hub by Ethernet cable.

Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

@copthis1 

The mini connectors do not transmit wifi, they only have Ethernet ports, so provided she has an Ethernet port on her computer, they will be fine.

If WiFi is needed, then it is possible to use the other home hub as a wireless access point.

Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

There you go, boom, I'm lost.  😁

The problem is she can't connect her phone to the wi-fi.  She isn't using a computer.

The new Hub2 is on top of a kitchen cabinet and up until she shuffled her room around, gave a wi-fi signal all over the house.  Because her bed has been plonked in a corner, she appears to have found a dead spot.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

@copthis1 wrote:

There you go, boom, I'm lost.  😁

The problem is she can't connect her phone to the wi-fi.  She isn't using a computer.

The new Hub2 is on top of a kitchen cabinet and up until she shuffled her room around, gave a wi-fi signal all over the house.  Because her bed has been plonked in a corner, she appears to have found a dead spot.

You can connect the mini hub to the spare home hub that you have, and it will then transmit wireless.

The details on how to do this have been repeated many times on this forum, and I an sure that @licquorice  has an existing post that he can repeat here. You would need a short Ethernet cable to link the two together.

Its a pity that BT did not sent this instead.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

It would have made things much easier, as it already has wifi.

BT seem to keep sending out mini connectors, which considering their retail price, must cost them a lot of money. You would not be the first person that they have sent these out.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

My mistake, I thought the mini connectors were WiFi as well as Ethernet.

As @@Keith_Beddoe says, you can connect the hub6 to the Ethernet port of the mini connector and use it as a wireless access point.

To configure the hub 6 as a wap you need to first of all turn off DHCP, then give it an IP address of 192.168.1.30 and then connect any of the yellow LAN ports to the mini connector Ethernet port.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Thanks for all replies.

If  I contact BT and explain what they've sent me are suitable, would they see me the 600 kit instead?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution
"aren't suitable"
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

@copthis1 wrote:
"aren't suitable"

They have not understood the problem.

You may have to buy them yourself, as that is what people normally have to do as its unusual for BT to supply anything apart from those mini connectors, normally used for BT TV in another room.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

I contacted BT and they offered to send out the 600 kit free of charge.  

Thanks for all replies.

0 Ratings