cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 5

Could my warnings/alerts from Facebook be caused by how BT routes access to the internet?

Over the past few months I have been receiving warnings/alerts from Facebook as follows:

Hi {me],

{Facebook logo} LOGIN ALERT

Your account was recently logged into from an unrecognized browser or device. Was this you?

{Clock logo} September 7, 2016 at 5:58am
{Location logo - per e.g. Google Maps} Near South Cave, United Kingdom
{IE logo} Share_platform_default

Sometimes they begin "Was This You? You don't usually log in from this browser, so we want to make sure it was you." but all of them are listed on my account under the heading "Your Account was logged in from an unrecognosed browser or device. PLease review this login now."

All the locations are in North Yorkshire UK eg "Near North Cave", "in the vicinity of Pickering" and I receive these message about every three weeks. The first few times I changed my password etc but today's message - as above - popped up just a few seconds after I'd posted on Facebook and was definately me.

I checked first with Microsoft - nothing to do with their servers and they suggested I ask BT.

Is it BT servers that's the cause of all these messages? Edited at 06:31 to add "If so, why are so many different locations for 'my browser' shown?"

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Could my warnings/alerts from Facebook be caused by how BT routes access to the internet?

Attempting to geo-locate the machine with a particular IP address is extremely unreliable.

BT customers may find themselves wherever BT have chosen to route their connection to the internet.  Usually, I'm in London, but today I am in Worthing.  Bear in mind that you are connected to BT's private network, but the location services can only see where BT connects to the public internet.

It's also possible to locate somebody by looking at the WiFi hotspot they are connecting to.  Which works until someone moves house and takes their router with them, or someone buys a second-hand router.  As Google's cars are driving around, they aren't just taking photographs, they are also logging all the wireless hotspots they can see.  Streets only get done every few months, at best. So if somebody moves, the database ends up totally wrong.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: Could my warnings/alerts from Facebook be caused by how BT routes access to the internet?

Hello Ectophile.

So you think that Facebook's procedures are at fault when you say "Attempting to geo-locate the machine with a particular IP address is extremely unreliable"?

I am au fait with the reasons for Microsofts' server farms e.g. balancing demand and assume that BT have a similar system. It's all happening behind the scenes and so shouldn't affect me. I simply wondered whether or not BT doing something similar was causing these warnings from Facebook.

I'll probably take the simple way out - tell Facebook that this device is mine and they can turn off warning messages for it. That way, they should only alert me if someone tried to access my account from another device. But I'm not entirely comfortable with doing that! Why have these warnings only just started happening? Nothing to do with Microsoft, nor with BT it seems and it's a waste of time trying to have any kind of dialogue with Facebook.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 4 of 5

By co-incidence, I 've recieced an update from How-to-Geek that included this article:

How To Geek FACEBOOK

Facebook was showing my current log-in location as "North Cave", so I'm now relaxed that North Cave is safe. I also saw that I'd twice forgotten to log out (both from safe locations) so I've removed them.

All's well that ends well!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

There are people who are misguided enough to think that the IP-based location is reliable.  See http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36013872/why-the-internet-is-blaming-one-us-farm-for-hundreds-... for an extreme example of how it goes wrong.

The different browsers thing might happen if you use either different web browsers on your computer, or different devices within your home.  They will all appear as the same IP address to anyone outside your home network.

0 Ratings