Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rincewindwiz
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

DHCP and HomeHub6

Go to solution

I am less than inpressed by HH6 - my first (and hopefully last) experience of BT routers!

It might be fine for basic use but anything marginally more that standard and  . . . . . [/endrant]

I want to use a static IP address for one of the PCs on my home network
So I change the adapter settings to the required IP address  192.168.1.nn
Subnet mask:         255.255.255.0
Default gateway: the router 192.168.1.254
DNS server:            Google (8.8.8.8)
Alternate DNS        the router 192.168.1.254

I tick validate settings in exit.
And the 'status' reports DHCP is not enabled for Local Area Connection. Of course not, I want to fix the IP address. There is no connection to the local network or the internet

A look inside the router settings confirmed DHCP for the router is active with a range starting just above the static IP I set in the device (coincidence?)  But what is hte problem the device has a valid IP address so why not use it

(as a by the by I cant seem to change the range even thought he router appears to offer the option - it does not let me  enter a new range of IP addresses.

I set everything back to Automatic IP addresses from DHCP and it wiorks fine,

Any ideas why this does not work. I am pretty sure this is the way I set things up with my old tp-link router

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: DHCP and HomeHub6

Go to solution

Less than optimal DHCP performance seems to be quite common on the hubs.  Certainly was with the three I have.  Worked, sometimes, sort of.  It would be best to go back to the TP-Link if possible, or invest in a new third party router.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/staticip1.html  This may help from @Keith_Beddoe help pages. You need to be logged into home broadband to view

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
rincewindwiz
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Helpful but . . .
Anyway I set it up as per this (only one change from my original setting which was the primary dns)
And it worked
Changed it back to what I had originally and it worked.
Checked it against what I had written above and its the same and it still worls!
Well that was a waste of a couple of hours!!

0 Ratings