cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goatee
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

DNS Issue

Why is it so hard to try and contact anyone without keep getting directed back to the "have you tried this first blah blah" page?

I have an issue trying to access certain website which is particularly frustrating as it is a web site I manage. It comes up with some error abour DNS not found 

I also cannot access the internet via my phone which gives some error about non BT DNS servers....the fix for which is supposed to be disable net protect and parental controls

Well I have disabled both, I have tried different browsers, I have spoken online to an agent who told me to me reset the hub, still the same issue. The last advice from the agent was to contach BT tech help....so ok how!...frustrated isn't the word!!!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Goatee
Beginner
Message 2 of 13

Re: DNS Issue

Does anyone even have an idea how I can contact someone about this?

I manage a website and for two weeks now I've been unable to access it from any device in my home......sky broadband is starting to look more attractive by the day

0 Ratings
MrMark02
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

What is the website in question? If you let us know we can start troubleshooting by trying to go to it and telling you our personal setups.
I assume by what you say you have the Smart Hub?
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 4 of 13

Try the following :-

Open up a command prompt on windows.

Issue the command "nslookup"

Then try entering your website name and hit enter.

Then issue the command server 8.8.8.8

Then try entering your website name again and hit enter.

If it fails on both then the problem is with the DNS of your webhosting. An example of a working server news.bbc.co.uk 

C:\Users\ford>nslookup
Default Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

> news.bbc.co.uk
Server: router.asus.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
Addresses: 212.58.244.57
Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk

> server 8.8.8.8
Default Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

> news.bbc.co.uk
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
Addresses: 212.58.246.80
Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk

For an example of a non working domain :-

> server 192.168.1.1
Default Server: [192.168.1.1]

> koszleraaaaa.com
Server: [192.168.1.1]

*** [192.168.1.1] can't find koszleraaaaa.com: Non-existent domain
> server 8.8.8.8
Default Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

> koszleraaaaa.com
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

*** google-public-dns-a.google.com can't find koszleraaaaa.com: Non-existent domain

Like I said if it fails on both its your webhost DNS thats at fault if it fails on BT but not google then it could be any number of things.

0 Ratings
Goatee
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Many thanks for ther input

I tried whsat you suggetsed and it fails on my website but not on Google

I have already contacted my web hosting site who can find no error on their part (US based if that makes any difference)

I have also had lengthy chat with online and telephone help from BT and tried all their suggestions Different browser, reset hub, clear all cashe, clear parental controls and web protect etc ..still nothing

I can actually access the back end of my website via the provider (bandzoogle) but cannot view the front end to check how it looks , mine is the only site that seems to give me this problem, its been going on for three weeks now an I'm losing parience, no point me paying out for a ISP and wehhost if they are not compatible

Regards

Paul

0 Ratings
Goatee
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Just for information this is my site with the issue, would be interesting if anyone has similar problems

https://www.journeynorth.net/

I'm currently at the Mother in Laws, different part of the country, different PC getting same issue, only common thing is she is BT as well 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Works fine for me using BT's DNS (81.139.56.100) or Google's DNS (8.8.8.8)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Try using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) on MIL's PC (I assume she doesn't have parental controls activated). To use other DNS servers you will need to delete parental controls on your connection when back home, not just disable them.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 9 of 13

The problem is dns is a hierarchy and it can be difficult to pin down what part isn't working as it should. If google dns works personally I'd override dns server settings on your devices and use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Also you can try https://dnschecker.org/
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 10 of 13

http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/?domain=Journeynorth.net%2F

So there doesn't seem to be a problem with your dns records but there were a couple of additional places on the link on the previous post where the name has propagated. I'd chase up with your hosting provider although from experience I doubt there is much they can do and eventually it will just work.

0 Ratings