Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
seftuma
Message 1 of 4

DNS Lookup issue (Smart Hub)

Go to solution

I am having internet connection issues on my Infinity connection unless I change the DNS manually on my devices to the Google ones (e.g., 8.8.8.8).   I have gotten a new hub but the same problem exists there.   

Problem is certain devices (e.g., Sonos) do not give me the option so I am not able to use those services.   And of course SmartHub doesn't let me change the DNS lookup service manually.

Tried to get an alternative router (TP-link TD-W9970) but that doesn't connect at all regardless of DHCP configurations.

Anyone ever experience these types of issues - I'm stuck.   Tried BT support through chat but that was a struggle.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: DNS Lookup issue (Smart Hub)

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

@seftuma wrote:

Tried to get an alternative router (TP-link TD-W9970) but that doesn't connect at all regardless of DHCP configurations.

Then you probably have it incorrectly configured, as it has no issues with DHCP or DNS. You can use any DNS servers you wish, including Google public DNS.

See VDSL (BT FTTC) Setup instructions

Here is a live working connection.

This page shows the information of the entire DSL WAN interface.

Current DSL modulation type is VDSL, and ADSL wan connections are disabled.

Name Type VPI/VCI or VID IPvX IP/Mask Gateway DNS Status Connect Action
br_8_35_1 Bridge 8/35 N/A N/A N/A N/A DSL Disabled View Delete
pppoe_ptm_101_0_d PPPoE 101 IPv4 86.163.165.77/32 172.16.14.129 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 Connected

0 Ratings
seftuma
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you - not sure what I was doing wrong before but yes this worked.   Appreciate the quick response.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@seftuma wrote:

Thank you - not sure what I was doing wrong before but yes this worked.   Appreciate the quick response.

If you need more help, then please ask. I remote monitor an W9970 installation at my daughter`s house, which currently has 32 devices showing in the DHCP clients list.

These are a wide range of devices including smart devices, laptops, desktops, iPhones, Chromecast, NowTV boxes and BT YouView.

There have been no connection issues with any device.

0 Ratings