cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 11 of 56

Re: DNS Problem/Message stopping Kindle Fire 8 - Thought it was solved but problem back again

Go to solution

Update on this: the problem still persists and the DNS message freezes on the screen making the kindle unusable. I redid the configuration manually exactly as suggested under static settings, saved it, restarted kindle and then after using the kindle for 5 mins problem came back.

There was a suggestion that an app may be causing a problem. When the kindle updated itself last week it installed Amazon Alexa app which is used for amazons echo device, which we don't have. It doesn't seem to be possible to delete the app.

I have run out of ideas now except perhaps trying to install a different browser on the kindle, which I've not tried before.

Does anyone have any thoughts.

If it's a smart hub issue again then I'm contemplating getting the hub 5 back out of its box😐

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 12 of 56

Re: DNS Problem/Message stopping Kindle Fire 8 - Thought it was solved but problem back again

Go to solution

Managed to download Google Chrome onto an old kindle fire that I have and it works fine. Did the same onto the kindle fire 8 with the message problem. It installed ok and chrome loads a web page but the screen gets stuck so you can't scroll up or down. Do I needed a more uptodate version of chrome perhaps?πŸ™„

0 Ratings
Graham2015
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 56

Go to solution

Do you use BT Parental Controls and/or BT Web Protect?

If you do try turning them off - as they use a DNS Server.

Best Regards,

Graham2015

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 14 of 56

Go to solution

@Graham2015 wrote:

Do you use BT Parental Controls and/or BT Web Protect?

If you do try turning them off - as they use a DNS Server.

Best Regards,

Graham2015

Hi, yes use parental controls because I have children. I turned them off temporarily but problem persisted. I definitely have the correct DNS settings on the kindle. Bbc app trip advisor app etc work fine it just seems to be a problem with the kindles silk browser and it started to go wrong after the kindle did an update last Thursday. I also did a factory reset on the kindle. I've had two phone calls to Amazon kindle tech team and the first tried a fix that didn't work and he had accessed the kindle remotely and could see what was happened. The second man has escalated the problem to a higher technical team who can look at the kindles log. They are going to ring me back in two days. I'm not confident, although they are very polite and apologeticπŸ˜•

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 15 of 56

Go to solution

I've just had an email from Amazon and they have put a replacement kindle fire in the first class post to me with a return envelope for the one I am having trouble with. The replacement will be 10" newer model! Excellent Amazon customer service😊 Fingers crossed the new one will be ok!

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 16 of 56

Go to solution

Have been told the replacement is likely to be a refurbishment and not new. πŸ˜•

0 Ratings
Graham2015
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 56

Go to solution

I had the same problem with my Fire HD8 Tablet from last weeks update.

I think the problem is the Alexa app - as it uses a different network.

This controls Echo settings.

In fact I did try Echo, but would not work at all with the BT 5 Hub, despite hours and hours on the phone to Amazon and BT.

Had to return Echo to Amazon.

I have had no further problems with my Tablet since stopping BT Parental Controls and BT Web Protect.

Hope the replacement tablet performs OK.

Best regards.

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 18 of 56

Go to solution

The kindle update did install the Alexa app and unfortunately it is impossible to uninstall it or disable it. We haven't used the app as we don't have Amazon echo. Is it still possible for that app to interfere with the DNS settings if we don't use it?  I hope the replacement kindle doesn't do the same thing. It is a newer edition so hoping it will be different.

0 Ratings
Graham2015
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 56

Go to solution

Hi,

The Alexa app appears to cause problems even if it's not used.

Even when I applied a Force Stop and Cleared Data on the Alexa App, the problem continued.

I also did a factory reset but the problem remained.

My Tablet was working OK until that OS Update. 5.3.2.0.  Build Date 5th November.

Since stopping BT Parental Control and BT Web Protect I have not had any problems.

However, if you use do the above it is not a solution.

I think Amazon will have to look at the Fire OS update.

I will be interested to hear if your replacement works.

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 20 of 56

Go to solution

I will post on here to let you know. When I spoke to one of the Amazon tech help people he put me on hold and said he was going to check on the forums! Doesn't inspire too much confidence. He could have been reading my posts!

0 Ratings